Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Newbie

Hey guys . Just bought my dream car . 1980 Brat DL . Thought I would finally join a forum in case I needed to borrow some knowledge from you guys. The body work will not be a problem .the learning experience will be the ea71 . At the moment going through the steps dropping the tank cleaning lines etc then probably try and find a kit for the carb. Going to get that off tomorrow as I’m not familiar what carb is in this year brat. Will it be an issue finding a kit or would it be easier to replace? Fuel lines have been removed but it fires if I pour gas down carb . Thanks for having me guys .  

Edited by 80BratGage
  • Like 1

you'll need to find a reliable electric fuel pump for carbs (low psi) i think it's 2-5psi, run new fuel lines and clean the tank out which sounds like you're about to, there's a drain plug on the bottom of the tank btw.

check for leaks where the sending unit installs from the side of the tank.

what carb does it currently have? does it have a big blue round/oval metal air filter over the carburetor? glass sight on the carb? the original was a Hitachi.

things to hope you don't need on the brat that are impossible to find, the front brake calipers and disks (rotors), blinker system on the steering column, oil pump, radiator, and tail lights, passengers go for $140-$250, and drivers go for anywhere between $80-$150, that's used.

take a few pictures, it would help a lot to see what you're up against,

Don’t get too scared.

Some of us have been involved a long time and have parts. 

Things are slow for me right now , busy in life , but slow for listing parts and such. Come April I should be back to selling off my collection. A couple guys like myself started retaining good quality used parts as well as SEEKING OUT NEW OLD STOCK FROM OLDER DEALERSHIPS , etc etc and we generally have what’s needed to keep these vehicles going for a good while. 

I am stepping aside from it all and only going to retain a bare minimum of consumables and various replacement parts. So I am selling the rest. There’s an awful lot. All from 1970-1979 and gen one Brat. 

Located in Milford CT if you’re at all willing to drive up come springtime.

Jason from NC also a member here drove up and made out really well being the first one to make the effort. 

Good luck ! And enjoy !!

Edited by moosens

So far I’ve dropped the tank and gave it a good cleaning and everything looks pretty good. Other than no drain plug bolt. Anybody have any idea where or what I can replace it with? Identified the hitachi 2 bbl carb and have gone through it with a kit. One of the plungers was stuck fixed but came loose with the cleaning. Had to drain the radiator from the bottom hose because the petcock is broke flush. Will get out when I buy a new cap with a heated up flat head. Going start making a list of a few things I know I need , rear brake  light glass . Signal glass. Front emblem, 

8 hours ago, moosens said:

38 hours , oh man. Well if you do please wait for warm weather. 

There’s been a good number of guys selling old 70’s parts so shop around. I don’t mind selling part but right now it’s too cold for me to make time at my storage. 

did the second gen brat ever come with the third eye? i thought it was only 2dr hatchbacks and it was an add on option only.

did someone convert the brat?

16 hours ago, 80BratGage said:

I will have to think about making a road trip. It’s only 38 hours from me . I also need to figure out to make the photos smaller so I can upload them and then I’ll upload some more . 

second gen tanks don't have a drain bolt, carbs are available on ebay for it, aftermarket ofcourse, unsure about the dimensions of the hole though where it connect to the manifold.

i think the third eye emblem is extremely specific, never seen one in person but i think i recall reading that somewhere a while ago, when you find one, make sure it fits before purchasing.

i don't understand the 38 hour road trip though, i barely trust my Honda Oddysey to do that, i can't imagine a brat, do you need to go get the brat or are you going in the brat?

That’s ok ! Just going to take the tank to my local Tacoma Screw co and see what works for the drain plug bolt . Have had zero luck getting any info on it anywhere. I’m sure it isn’t misplaced often and I wish I had the original owners number , guy I bought from purchased it and did nothing with it, wonder if he has it somewhere. Got the rear seats yesterday 100 I was pretty stoked. 

Dammit , I forgot again and I even looked right at my pile of manuals. Sorry about that. But it seems you’re commanding the situation.

Suggesting that you look in all corners of the interior. Maybe that guy tucked it away.

And after that I will try to put my brain on when I get home and check the manual. 

No but depending on which line there may be an anti-roll system installed like the 4WD wagons. 

At work but I’ll try to help from the manual later. 

Nothing in the tank like later models. Just the obvious meter/float. 

Edited by moosens

I’ve got the line cleared but have ran into another issue . I’m not sure if one of the braces for the line rusted out and broke or what but I can hear the line move around inside the tank. Can’t see what it looks like because it’s on the other side of the tank opppsite the fill hole and sending unit . Think I’ll be ok ? Or do I need to use a can opener and open her up? I’ve ran a weed eater line through and can see it come out next to drain plug . 

Camera time ? Get one of those cheapie harbor fright versions if nobody gives a great answer. I sure don’t have one at this time. 

If you’re going at this seriously I want to suggest taking the tank out. While out go over the body/bed and all you can. Mark your lines , take pics of it all. 

Edited by moosens