Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is my '84 GL with 25K miles worth?

My mom passed away and she had a 1984 GL she was the original owner of a nice little '84 GL that she garaged since it was new.  It has less than 25K miles on it.  That is right, less than 25,000 miles.  It is a 4 door sedan with a 5 speed manual transmission and a 1.8 liter engine and has never been in an accident.  The interior and exterior are both in very good shape and I have all documents to substantiate the low mileage.

TIA for your replies.

Probably about $2500 to the right buyer. It's a very hard sell being a 2WD. Subaru is known for 4WD and station wagons. The 2WD models - especially the non wagons get very little love. If it were a 4WD wagon it would be worth 3x as much. 5x if it were a Brat. 

You should just keep it in the family and let a grandkid take it over or something. It's worth more as reliable transportation than it is to a collector. 

GD

• Like 2

I have just bought a Subaru again after not owning one for 2 years (finally saleing my 3door) I had been watching a 1988 2wd auto spfi ea82 gl wagon on fb marketplace for a year with 64k on it. It changed hands once in that time they paid 2500 for it but thought they could put there teen age daughter in it and would be good to but setting for almost 20 years no car is turn key they kept it for 1200 miles a got tried of paying mechanic bills tow bills for dry rotten hoses pretty much all of them listed on marketplace again a I watch the price drop to 700 I couldn't help myself I bought it 

Edited by 84gl

2 hours ago, 84gl said:

I have just bought a Subaru again after not owning one for 2 years (finally saleing my 3door) I had been watching a 1988 2wd auto spfi ea82 gl wagon on fb marketplace for a year with 64k on it. It changed hands once in that time they paid 2500 for it but thought they could put there teen age daughter in it and would be good to but setting for almost 20 years no car is turn key they kept it for 1200 miles a got tried of paying mechanic bills tow bills for dry rotten hoses pretty much all of them listed on marketplace again a I watch the price drop to 700 I couldn't help myself I bought it 

Yep. That's about the size of the situation as regards 2WD models. Pretty much no love for them. They don't perform "Subaru" tasks so they kind of live in a no-mans land of un-loved 80's cars that no one is looking for. Like a Ford Granada. 

GD

• Haha 2

On 2/5/2021 at 9:25 AM, Double D said:

My mom passed away and she had a 1984 GL she was the original owner of a nice little '84 GL that she garaged since it was new.  It has less than 25K miles on it.  That is right, less than 25,000 miles.  It is a 4 door sedan with a 5 speed manual transmission and a 1.8 liter engine and has never been in an accident.  The interior and exterior are both in very good shape and I have all documents to substantiate the low mileage.

TIA for your replies.

As others have said, sorry about your Mom.

Sure, there might not be a big market for it like there is for a more popular car, but that being said., it only takes one person. It's worth what that one person is willing to pay for it. You might be surprised what someone in your area will pay...there's a reason there are a ton of newer ones on the road in the mountain states, and yours just might hit somebody's nostalgia button. That era of Subaru created MANY fans of the marque. As stated earlier in the thread, young people that like older Japanese cars, even if just for a "different" every day driver, are out there too.

Edited by subaru1988

Being serious now , and I tell this to other like yourself , put the ad in Craigslist NYC , Boston , Philly too. Nostalgia sales happen there now. Most of the rest of the country won’t spend the fat money on it right now. But the fat wealth doesn’t get affected , you know that. So market it in the FAT markets. They’re very few these days. But always NYC and in this case I would try to cover the New England area and then also the Philly area because SOA headquarters have always been right over the river from there. 

Best of luck with it. Yeah , start at $2500 or so. Take advantage. Just naturally sell “as is”. 

Cheers! 

Edited by moosens

On 2/6/2021 at 2:02 PM, subaru1988 said:

As others have said, sorry about your Mom.

Sure, there might not be a big market for it like there is for a more popular car, but that being said., it only takes one person. It's worth what that one person is willing to pay for it. You might be surprised what someone in your area will pay...there's a reason there are a ton of newer ones on the road in the mountain states, and yours just might hit somebody's nostalgia button. That era of Subaru created MANY fans of the marque. As stated earlier in the thread, young people that like older Japanese cars, even if just for a "different" every day driver, are out there too.

Thanks for the condolences and your reply.

11 hours ago, Double D said:

20210205_141832.jpg

That's a nice car. The latest "Old Cars Report Price Guide" gives an estimate of about $2500 to $4000 for an '84 Subaru sedan in that condition. It's somewhere between a 2 and a 3($2500 on their scale), much closer to 2 ($4000). It's worth what someone is willing to pay, but I'd want more than $2500 for it. The miles are too low and it's in too nice of shape, plus you can prove the mileage.

If you give it away, it'll be one of those cars where the guy that buys it will be at the local cars and coffee bragging to everybody how little he paid for it with 25K miles on it in this shape. In other words, you sold it too cheap. Sell it right, and you'll be fine with what you get. Heck, even if you keep it and wait for a better market in your area, and in the meantime put 5K miles on it, it's still under 30K miles. That's assuming you keep it in the same shape, of course.

Edited by subaru1988
  • Thanks 1

probably the lowest mileage 1984 Subaru out there in the wild in that kind of shape combination, ofcourse, Subaru has their own collection but those aren't for sale nor are they out in the wild.

if i was you, i would be asking 3,800 and come down as low as 3,500.

my brat has 68,000 original miles currently but it isn't in that great of shape since it was a farm vehicle and abandoned from 1994-2016, the interior needs help and so does the body but what the heck, oh well.

so ask for the higher price of 2,500-4,000 range, it really is worth it, even if it's just a 2WD.

forgot to mention, don't get desperate, the longer you have it posted for sale, the more forums your car will appear on, trust me, word always spreads will classic Subaru's, especially in that kind of shape.

Edited by Subasaurus
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2021 at 5:00 PM, 88SubGL said:

That’s a nice car! One of the great things about it is that it’s an ea81 under the hood. No timing belts to worry about. Any more pictures of it, interior, exterior, under the hood?

The interior is in very good shape.  I don't have any engine photos but it is 100% original.  I think my dad only had to have a engine temperature sensor and batteries changed on this car.

20210205_141932.jpg

20210205_141941.jpg

On 2/9/2021 at 9:20 AM, franbev said:

Put it on BAT (Bring A Trailer). They have sold a lot of interesting old cars.

That looks like a good avenue to pursue.  Another friend suggested BAT and I am leaning towards that.  Thanks for the suggestion!