Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2010 Legacy Timing Belt Change Info - HELP

Looking for some information on a 2010 Legacy timing belt change. Looking at this vehicle for my daughter-in-law Saturday

and just in case the sellers cannot show proof that the timing belt was changed (157k miles), should have been changed twice

in my opinion. Looking for a complete list of parts that would be required. Also the best place to get genuine Subaru parts

for the best price. I have ordered parts from Liberty  Subaru in NJ always had great prices.

Having only experience doing my 1999 2.2 L a few times, I'm sure there are some subtle differences between the 2.2 and the 2.5

and also the 12-year difference in models, but still a boxer.

Definitely do not want to go cheap and not get Subaru parts, I did that once and cost me a pair of valve/head jobs when a pulley siezed.

Also if anyone has the manual pages for the R&R, would greatly appreciate that. I only have 95, 99 and 99-04 manuals.

you can get a copy of the FSM here: http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/

if you can do the timing on an EJ22, you can do it on an EJ25 - not really any significant differences. I went from a 95 Legacy with a non-interference EJ22 to a 2002 Forester with the EJ251 - pretty much the same as far as that job goes.

Same "rules" apply - change all the pulleys, etc, all in one go and be done till the next time. I would do radiator hoses as well, and possibly vacuum lines - depending on condition.

• Like 1

You’re on it. Install all new Subaru pulleys, tensioner and belt.

New Subaru water pump and thermostat isn’t a terrible idea but those modern EJs aren’t prone to leaking even at high miles so they can be skipped. But at 10 years old and next change being 250,000...the original isn’t young. 

FSMs online as she stated in last post. 

• Like 1

yeah, i would do the water pump & t-stat as well, just for peace of mind.

just sitting here thinking about it.. My little Forester had 214K when I got her and I did a full timing job myself, just to make sure - PO could not remember when it was done last, so yeah.. but thinking about it just now.. only have about 20K to go before she is due again..  :blink:

Edited by heartless
  • Like 1

Interval is 105,000 miles or 7 years and have used Aisin kits and had good luck on multiple cars. Just don't buy stuff from Amazon or eBay as they can be counterfeits.

Rock Auto has good on Aisin kits (Japanese parts).  Retail prices for parts at a Subaru dealer can be expensive.  Some online dealers give a good discount.

Go here to look up part numbers:

https://www.subaruparts.com/?p.SUB759&keyword=subaru parts online&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt_ra7rzn7gIVccqUCR3zeAJgEAAYASAAEgKKs_D_BwE

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike104 said:

Interval is 105,000 miles or 7 years and have used Aisin kits and had good luck on multiple cars. Just don't buy stuff from Amazon or eBay as they can be counterfeits.

Rock Auto has good on Aisin kits (Japanese parts).  Retail prices for parts at a Subaru dealer can be expensive.  Some online dealers give a good discount.

Go here to look up part numbers:

https://www.subaruparts.com/?p.SUB759&keyword=subaru parts online&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt_ra7rzn7gIVccqUCR3zeAJgEAAYASAAEgKKs_D_BwE

Oh, would have thought every 70k. Still needs to done.

Thanks for the link.

• 2 weeks later...

You can also get all the japanese stuff you need from amazon at a fraction of the cost. Mitsuboshi timing belt, gmb or aisin waterpump. koyo or nsk idler pulleys and subaru oil seals. I would also replace the cheap squeeze clamps on the radiator with the earlier ones with a bolt that tightens them. if you need i can get you links. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions,

Pretty much the same as my old 99 2.2L.

Finished the job yesterday, got the parts from Subaru Superstore in Chandler AZ.

Total cost with shipping was $476.10, Belt, Tensioner, Pulleys, Thermostat, Water Pump and Gaskets.

Locally would have been $682.54, they did send the wrong water pump so a $95.73 pump went up to

$139.95, had to go get that locally in the Springs to complete the job.

Someone had been in there before, the pump gasket was paper not metal like Subie uses and one of the 

clamps on the bypass hose was on the hose, just not over the nipple part coming off the pump, not sure 

if the T-Belt was done but it is now.

New timing belt and pulleys, water pump, thermostat, hoses, coolant, fan belt, oil change, filters -  she is good to go.  :)  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2