Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SJR Lift Kit Help

Hey guy, I recently found a used 4" SJR Lift Kit to put on my GL ( my first time doing a lift). What I got is a bit different from the current kit on SJRs website (maybe an older model?). I have read a couple threads but am struggling to figure out what goes where. Heres what I know:

1. Rear Strut Brackets?

2. No idea.

3. No idea.

4.No idea.

5.Rear Diff Bracket

6.Front Strut Spacers

7.Sub Frame Spacers ( I think ones set goes up by the front CVs not sure with the other ones)

20210211_104514.png

3: are front diff mount extensions (four bolts that clamp the diff to the bracket. Seems more bolts are needed here. 

As for the others I’m not 100% sure as there seems to be bits missing from the kit. 

One piece that’s missing in my mind is a steering extension for when the engine crossmember is dropped. 

That’s one of the joys of buying second hand when you don’t know what is exactly involved with the whole kit. 

Cheers 

Bennie

#7 is definitly the crossmeber drop brackets

#6 definitly front strut top spacers

#5 rear diff hanger #3 goes on the front part of the diff

#4 im guessing is the carier bearing drop brackets or the transmision crossmeber drop brackets but its hard to tell from that angle

#2 is the mustash bar bracket mounts not realy part of the lift there stock parts

#1 is the rear strut drop brackets

your missing all the brackets from the radius rod brackets

also the steering link

and there should be some rear subframe drop brackets other wise your tires are eating in to the back doors

Awesome Thanks guys! Yeah its always a risk going second hand but Im on a pretty tight budget so decided to do it. It came with a box of bolts so Ill figure out what goes where. For the strearing link/ extension i think i read that you can use a legacy one, its a bit longer? SJR doesn't sell thoes right? What are the radius rod brackets? Is that something I need to get from SJR? I have heard he is open to selling portions of his kits.

After looking at the SJR 4" kit on his website closer i believe I have everything. #7 is four blocks (sorry kinda hard to see in my picture) so i think they are the two cross member and two rear subframe brackets. the only thing i have the his doesn't is #2,3 and as you guys said #2 comes on the car and 3 may be in his bag of bolts. 

the radius rod sets the position of the front wheels if you dont drop the braket it bolts too the wheel will pull in to the body and make for a extremely stiff ride and besides lowering the bracket you  need to put a few washers behind the radius rod  and the rubber isolator to keep the wheel centered

the good news is there easy to make yourself if you have access to scrap metal

the steering link from a lego or a outback should work i made my own it just  needs to be the same langht as the front crossmember drop brackets

Engine crossmember and radius rod/transmission crossmember brackets are 7 and 4.

2 looks like rear crossmember or mustache bar bushings. Not sure why those would be included.

are #3 threaded couplers? Again, I can't think what those would be for.

But even without 2 and 3, you've got everything for a high clearance 4" kit. I've done a couple similar to that.

On 2/14/2021 at 7:50 PM, 89GLWarWGN said:

Thanks again guys, yeah 3 are big threaded couplers, maybe their use will become apparent once i start putting the lift on. I'll lwt you know maybe they are just used as spacers somewhere.

No.3 are rear diff mount bracket spacers, you need longer bolts for that.

3 & 5 are about dropping the rear diff evenly.

• 2 months later...

I'm about to do this lift my self on my 84 gl hatch and i was wondering what you did to extend the steering column and shifter linkage. You mentioned using a steering column from a legacy if that worked what year would it have been from?

Edited by skullizard