Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yep, a lot of people want that push button.

That is a simple, cute trick to make the control unit think the hatch is closed and turn off the power.

I looked at one wiring diagram and the Power Rear Gate uses 5 pages and involves 21 connectors. A lot of communication between different modules.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, jonathan909 said:

Yes, just not about this, unless you can explain how this feature put people out of work.

What is a Luddite today?

Neo-Luddism or new Luddism is a philosophy opposing many forms of modern technology. The term Luddite is generally used as a pejorative applied to people showing technophobic leanings. The name is based on the historical legacy of the English Luddites, who were active between 1811 and 1816.

It's a subtle historical and linguistic distinction, but I'm standing by it:

The Luddites - as in, those who were alive at the time and followers of Ned Ludd - had a specific objection to new technology that displaced workers.  They were genuinely "technophobic" in that they feared the new technologies that would kill human jobs.

A Luddite would be best described as a contemporary follower of what he thinks The Luddites believed, which has deformed in modern usage into encompassing anyone who is genuinely technophobic or rejects new technologies for reasons other than fear (note the distinction - I have a lot of trouble with the modern use of "-phobic" because it presumes knowledge of the subject's mental state e.g. is it proper to call someone a "homophobe" if he rejects gays not because he's actually afraid of them, but simply because he's a bigot?  If we're to be consistent, why are Jew-haters referred to "anti-Semites" rather than Semitophobes?) or is just lazy and looking for an excuse to avoid learning how to work something new.

And I won't touch "neo-" with a stick because nobody knows how to use it properly and it confuses just about everything it gets close to.  For example, "neo-liberals" are pretty much the opposite of actual liberals and "neo-classical" is a term favoured by idiots who don't know anything about 20th century contemporary composition.

Edited by jonathan909