Ultimate Subaru Message Board

On 2/14/2021 at 12:41 PM, billrigsby said:

Looking at a 2010 Legecy, probably picking up Tuesday.

Wondering if anyone has an account and can provide a CarFax as this is from a private party?

VIN 4S3BMBC61A3240702

Thanks, Bill

Ask the seller for one.  They might have more incentive than you to have it on hand.

This won't work for most buyers - but I could pull this off most of the time.  If I was "probably picking up Tuesday" i'd be nearly 100% sure I'm getting it - as long as it hasn't been wrecked or have more rust than I anticipate from pictures/discussion.  I'd say something like....I'll buy it if it has no more rust than I expect and hasn't been in an accident - could you get a carfax report and I'll reimburse you for it if it hasn't been wrecked or lived in a rust state?"   Tell them exactly why you want it.  I've bought like 50 subarus and helped people buy like a couple dozen others, so i've got a lot of experience. I also buy almost ever car I go look at - I don't have time to window shop and screw around, so I'm pretty serious and people get that when I talk to them.  I'm up front, not going to lowball (I usually am already looking for lower priced vehicles and I'm willing to throw cash and even add more $$$ to their asking price sometimes if I want), and that makes a difference in how I communicate. Anyway - I'm just saying don't expect them to bite but I'd be able to get them to agree most of the time just based on my confidence and doing this many times. I know what people do and don't want to hear. 

Also google the VIN number and see if it's registers under anywhere strange - auctions, etc. 

I also concur with GD's response - if you don't find a way to get a carfax quick, just pay for it.  You're time can't be that invaluable if you're buying a 5 digit car. If you're unsure about buying the car then buy one of those "packages" that allows you to VIN search a few vehicles.  If you're fairly certain you're going to buy the car - then pay for the carfax.   I've used carfax lots of times.  Some times I do, sometimes I don't it just depends what i'm buying, from who, where, price point, etc.  For most people though - just buy it.  Looking at a 5 digit car and commensurate maintenance over it's lifetime and trying to save pocket change isn't really worth the time. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, idosubaru said:

You're time can't be that invaluable if you're buying a 5 digit car.

would have to agree - even a higher 4 digit car...

a $1500 car, probably not - would go with one of the free services (and did for my Forester) - one that is $7500 or higher.. i would pay for the real carfax report - but that is me.

• 3 weeks later...