Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81T swap my 88 wagon?

I did a ea81t to ea81 mpfi n/a by blocking off the turbos ports and using a set of spfi ea82 Pistons if it goes in an 85-86 car the wiring is mostly plug and play but I did this year's ago when parts were easier to find what killed our cars motor was the heads cracking to the exhaust ports it ran good until that point then back to square one 

Edited by 84gl

You would get the simplicity of the pushrod engine, but you'd be going from a common-but-antiquated fuel injection system (ASSuming your 88 is an EA82), to a very rare fuel injection system (AFAIK, only used on the EA81ts).

Probably have to transplant the ECU and wiring from the EA81t. All the work of an EJ swap...

2 hours ago, Numbchux said:

You would get the simplicity of the pushrod engine, but you'd be going from a common-but-antiquated fuel injection system (ASSuming your 88 is an EA82), to a very rare fuel injection system (AFAIK, only used on the EA81ts).

Probably have to transplant the ECU and wiring from the EA81t. All the work of an EJ swap...

i just installed a standalone ecu, so thats why i was saying ecu wouldnt be a problem, i literally would just have to plug the ea81 in and it would work

I mean, I hate the EA82. But I'm not sure I could talk myself into pulling a running one for an EA81t...

I ASSume those have the same turbo placement and up-pipe routing as basically all other Subaru H4 turbos. Which would mean you'd need a EA82t crossmember, or modify yours, or redo the exhaust.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Numbchux said:

I mean, I hate the EA82. But I'm not sure I could talk myself into pulling a running one for an EA81t...

I ASSume those have the same turbo placement and up-pipe routing as basically all other Subaru H4 turbos. Which would mean you'd need a EA82t crossmember, or modify yours, or redo the exhaust.

its already an 88 gl-10,  has all that.   the ea82 i just resealed has a bad headgasket cause dummy me didn't automatically assume they were bad.  the ea81 turbo i have as bad headgaskets as well, figured i may as well just revive the better of the two

8 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Neither is really better than the other. The EA82T is newer and was made for longer so it will be significantly (which isn't saying much) easier to source parts for. I wouldn't attempt an EA81T without a good reason such as a restoration on a really nice Turbo Brat, etc. 

GD

its in a turbo coupe, just got a replacement digi dash for it... though it needs alot of stuff,    i wonder if anyone wants to trade me an ej adapter plate and flywheel for that ea81T engine..  lol

Unlikely. Anyone that's into EA81T's is probably not into EJ swaps - possibly doesn't even know they exist. Better off demonstrating that it runs and selling it to someone that needs one. 

The oil pump on the EA81T, if it's good, is worth more than the whole rest of the motor to the vast majority of the EA81 community. 

GD

Dealers choice, but I'd keep it stock unless there's a very compelling reason otherwise. 

Some of the swaps/conversions I've done were awesome.  Probably close to just as many were probably a waste of time besides a learning experience. I'd consider it a waste of time until something really convinced me otherwise.  But I've got a lot more experience and my time is more valuable now.  If you've got all the time in the world and aren't too concerned about time - then yeah have at it. 

Can be done. My mate ran his EA81t converted brumby using the hotwire EA82t engine management no worries. He also used the EA82t exhaust from heads to turbo as the ones he had were a dodgy home made abomination. 

15 hours ago, Numbchux said:

I ASSume those have the same turbo placement and up-pipe routing as basically all other Subaru H4 turbos. Which would mean you'd need a EA82t crossmember, or modify yours, or redo the exhaust

Correct sir. 

Cheers 

Bennie

well, ej swaps aside,   if you were looking for a

decent all round engine, good low end torque and as light as possible,  wouldn't the ea81T make the most sense?

lets look at the pros and cons...

ea81T

pros:

• direct drop in
  • has multi port fuel injection
  • no really long exhaust runners
  • great low end torque
  • simple, light
  • no timing belts, gear driven cam and oil pump
  • push rod

cons:

• parts are even HARDER to find then ea82T stuff.
  • less max revs
  • also needs headgaskets changed
  • push rod

ea82T

pros:

cons:

• its an ea82
  • its turbo

EJ SWAP

pros:

• reliable
  • more power
  • more parts
  • more choices

cons:

• done to death
  • unoriginal
  • boring
  • peer pressure
  • will never be "period correct" or "all original"
  • needs ecu and harness swap (n/a for me)
  • heavy
  • needs two custom machined parts made

Edited by turbodog

You just want to do it and are well versed enough to do so and have the extra time - have at it man! You're not a noob asking random questions. 

I only say keep it EA82 because of time - EA82 headgaskets are a breeze to do in the vehicle.  passengers side head can be off before the engine is out.  

The torque, weight, and parts availability variations are small and practically insignificant. In terms of actual track times and data - they are meaningless. 

If the tires/gearing/weight is such that the EA82 is underpowered then I'd want more than an EA81 has to offer. 

But in your pro-con list you didn't even mention the EA82 so you're thinking about this completely different than me.  So go get that engine lift ready!

Edited by idosubaru

42 minutes ago, turbodog said:

lol!  it was more of a joke then anything ;) it gets so much hate on this forum its almost like its been disowned here xD

totally get that. i wouldn't go out of my way for one but they're so simple, predictable, and reliable enough for daily driver use they don't bother me either for some situations.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:20 AM, turbodog said:
  • done to death
  • unoriginal
  • boring
  • needs ecu and harness swap (n/a for me)
  • heavy
  • needs two custom machined parts made

First three I disagree with. Once you do this conversion you will see this is how the L series should have come from the factory! There is nothing boring with an EJ22 under the bonnet ;) 

ECU and harness addition is well documented. 

Extra engine weight is a non arguement - the EJ22 more than makes up for any extra weight it brings with it! “Handling” isn’t effected.

The custom machined parts are only needed if you go the adaptor plate way. In the US this is most common as you guys don’t have the dual range EJ gearboxes. 

8 hours ago, turbodog said:

lol!  it was more of a joke then anything ;) it gets so much hate on this forum its almost like its been disowned here xD

The EA82 is the black sheep of the black sheep of the Subaru family. There wasn’t much retained from the L series to the Gen1 EJ platform other than general gearbox layout. Over here the dual range box even went back to the brumby/brat style pull up/backwards low range lever in the EJ. 

If I had the option and didn’t care about period correct, I’d drop the EA81t in with the EA82t engine management. It won’t be any quicker but it will be the reliable option of the two if you keep up good maintenance on it (as you need to on either option). 

Cheers 

Bennie

i def will have an ej swapped L series someday, but its going to probably go on the 84 coupe that id be pulling the ea81t from.  i have a full standalone ecu wired right now for an ea series, so im really curious how awesome the ea81 can run on modern engine management! 

how the ea82 optical even ran is a miracle considering what the signal looked like going into the factory ecu