Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Friends 98 legacy towed on a dolly 12 miles -real world experience?

* I already know all the literature and decades of discussions about this. That’s not helpful here.  

Friends insurance towed his non running 1998 legacy 4EAT (has a 96 engine) 12 miles on a dolly. 

1. would a blackstone lab test of the ATF be able to show any excessive clutch, or other, material?  General disorder what say you to that?

Does anyone know if there’s a chance this this thing is fine?  12 miles maybe he can get lucky?  I’m sure someone has done it before!!??

Has anyone actually seen a verified 4EAT failure this way?

I have towed our 95 4EAT with a tow dolly 20+ miles with no problems.

Then I learned about the FWD Fuse. I put the fuse in, turn the key on and have towed the 95 and 97 both 4EAT's several times with no problems. When I purchased the 97 I used the tow dolly and towed it with the FWD Fuse in and the key on from the Maryland border to central Pa. with no problem except for the battery being almost dead when I got home.

• Like 1

yeah, -2*F official, could have been 1-2 degrees warmer at my house of course ?

we have extremely variable weather, you pick most any day in winter and look at the difference between record high and record low numbers - frequently 70+ degree spread.

for today? record low (1939) = 18*F record high (1996)= 95*F

tomorrow L (1963)= 19*  H (1996)= 93*

we feel extremely lucky, other than low water pressure for a coupla hours, we did OK in my 55 yo house in my tiny enclave with its own wells for water. Never lost ac power or gas and it seems we managed to avoid any plumbing damage. I double insulated the hose bib /sillcock w'ever on the north side. We had filled a few conatiners w/xtra water. Charged-up MIL's portable O2 concentrater batts. I also have an inverter that uses my lawn equipment batts that I charged. We could also get in the car and run her oxy for a while on 12V, but, we were preppared to call 911 in case we needed O2 tanks. You know, just tried to prep as much as possible beforehand. Sure wish we had gotten new windows installed (still have single pane 60s style aluminum) but covid and presence of MIL shut down that project (and some others.)

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Crazy stuff in TX. Hope everything works out for you. 

We just got over 7 days of no electricity here in Oregon. I was prepared with generators for our house and my parents house, but most of my neighbors were very cold for the last week. It was a good trial run of my preparedness. I now realize that I need two 55 gal drums of fuel for the generator and the truck. Never know when some crazy storm will come through. We had 1.25" of freezing rain. It was NUTS. Wrecked all the trees and power lines across the whole county. 

GD

7 days is really miserable. a few folks around here had 4days+ . Gens and house back-up system sales will skyrocket I'm sure.

covid exacerbated things, then, you've got much less-prepared road treatment/clearing in TX. Ill prepared generating plants.....crazy. Roads are bad AND power-cut grocery stores tossing out refrigerated food, can't process credit cards/check-out w'ever. How do you boil drinking water in all-electric home with power out?  Never thought I'd see ALL 254 counties under winter storm warning.

about as close to a Black Swan event as I want to get.

It will likely surpass Hurricane Harvey as State's most expensive disaster. Some very sad stories coming outta this. 11 yo died from hypothermia in his home with his family. Apt building burns and FD can't get water.....

I know people want to do a lot of finger-pointing. And hopefully some lessons will be learned but really, no one can be fully prepared for everything. If you made drivers wear helmets and stay under 35mph - there would still be traffic fatalities.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

GD how are you keeping 100 gallons of gasoline fresh?  Diesel?

That’s a sad situation in TX. The arguing and finger pointing is awful and doesn’t bode well for the future. 

We’ve been out of power 9 days before.   

LT that’s interesting.  I wonder what average high-low spreads are in the US.  Feb here would be around -15 and 65, so about 80.   We’ve seen -25 and 70 in Feb but not sure if the same day. We live in such a sparse area, I didn’t see any official stats with a cursory google search. 

Edited by idosubaru

LT and all. I feel your pain. I live in the middle of 3 wooded acres in the middle of a town with trees upon trees and seems like whenever someone exhales a tree falls onto power lines.

I have a generator ready to go and am on well water so I'm all set.

Enough about me.

I have been consulting with a company that makes water filter devices that are gravity fed (no electricity needed).

Developed for the less advantaged, the units have been released in Asia but the application for emergencies is where the first world can benefit.

Unlike Berkey or Alexapure at over $400, the device retails in the $45 range. LINK and it has greater filtration capabilities, removing virus unlike either of the high end devices.

Limitation: Cannot remove salt from seawater.

One filter pack for the unit will filter the equivalent of 1400 water bottles at a fraction of the cost of buying water bottles.. Saves the environment from mountains of plastic which is rarely recycled.

Imagine a truckload of these being handed out by FEMA or the Red Cross instead of cases of bottled water.

Buy it once, save on bottled water in your home everyday or stick it on a shelf in the garage for the next emergency.

This is not an infomercial. Until emergencies like Texas or Detroit occurs, most of us take clean water for granted. 

Edited by brus brother

I didn't want to indicate we see 75 degree swings in one day or that other places don't have variable weather. Rainfall can vary a lot, we get tornadoes, hurricanes on the coast. We are not subject to strong earthquakes at least! It's certainly fair to say most Texans are ill prepared for snow, it just isn't common or long-lasting here. But it's the freezing rain (black ice) that can be really bad.

where my MIL is moving too (now we just have to wait on a facility-required TB patch test) is generator backed-up so, if we do lose power here in the future, we could go hang with her!

yeah, I mentioned my little community (Pantego) has wel water, it is full of magnesium and salt. It is potable, just tastes bad.  For drinking water we use a countertop RO unit (aquatru). My wife wanted us to get a whole house filter unit and I told her, if it was just a matter of filtering-out salt, Saudi Arabia would be a jungle. Whole hose RO is just crazy for anyone but ultra rich. (there's a town in west texas that has RO for the entire town!!!)  It doesn't seem to be too much salt for 'selected' landscape plants and lawns, no point in RO for flushing toilets, bathing, etc. WE may add an undercounter RO when we remodel a bathroom. That would get me outta making ice cubes in trays cause we can pass the RO water thru the wall to the fridge.

The area is getting FEMA water and some other services from NGOs. I just was raised that my first duty to those in need was to try not to become one of them. One less family in line for assistance if I can properly prepare for emergencies.

Brus, numbers look good on that filter - couldn't determine if cryptosporidium is specifically filtered out..... maybe it's listed in one of the certification standards?

sorry for the major thread hijacking lol!

35 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

I didn't want to indicate we see 75 degree swings in one day or that other places don't have variable weather.

Oh yeah, totally.   I was surprised texas has that much variation particularly where you live.  Carlsbad direction maybe.  And it was interesting to me, what the high/lows distribution would look like across the US...I just like data. 

• Like 1

LT you didn't mention plagues ;-)

as far as crypto "NSF STD 42 Class 1 levels (0.5 micron)" is achieved. which is smaller than crypto at 1.0 microns.

Here is a link to the parent company that serves the Asian market's One World Filter.

The inventor is a long time friend. Read his bio in the "About" page. No slouch there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, idosubaru said:

Oh yeah, totally.   I was surprised texas has that much variation particularly where you live.  Carlsbad direction maybe.  And it was interesting to me, what the high/lows distribution would look like across the US...I just like data. 

Amarillo really gets the worst of bothtemp  extremes. Plus massive amounts of wind.