Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The grey ghost - 1984 JDM Turbo sedan

KiwiGL

Well, I have just test driven, and agreed to purchase, this fine example of an early 1984 build 3ed gen JDM Leone sedan. It is the top spec trim, and has digital dash, trip meter, cruise control, air con, and was fitted with the height adjustable suspension (now removed). Trans is 3at auto with part time 4wd.

It also has a sweet water to air intercooler setup fitted by the current owner.

Drives very well. Pulls harder than my old turbo wagon, with the intercooler. All the electrics work.

Best bit? Only 129,000 kms since new. Only issue is leaky sump gasket.

Hopefully will collect next week once WOF and rego done.

Here's a teaser pic... 

RgpeST8.jpg

And yes, I will be keeping Gertie... Keep your eyes peeled for the next stage of her build (she's going up in the world!)

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, turbodog said:

mmm trade me your wheels, lmao... but for real, really love it!  check out my build, im going threw the pains of restoring mine.

Yup have been following yours! An extensive project. This will be kept pretty much as purchased as I suspect it is only going to appreciate in value. Definitely a Sunday car!

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2021 at 4:54 AM, carfreak85 said:

I'd love to get a set of those Genuine Subaru Parts optional wheels!

Great looking car!

Thanks guys. It's going for a WOF tomorrow so all going well will collect it Friday or Saturday. Looking forward to it!

2 hours ago, Loyale 2.7 Turbo said:

Awesome Subie! :) Worth Saving!

Excuse me Sir, what is the Meaning of WOF?

Kind Regards.

Warrant of fitness. Vehicle safety check. Required every 6 months for vehicles manufactured before 2000 in NZ.

Well, she passed the WOF with a clean check sheet!

I have now taken possession.

Here are a few more teaser shots. I'll take some more tomorrow after a good wash.

q0UeTiC.jpgpcWpKuD.jpgO38JmVP.jpgJaff5yq.jpgiQzUI5I.jpg

Not a bad pairing! Povo spec later model carbie touring wagon and a top spec early model JDM sedan.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KiwiGL said:

Jaff5yq.jpg

woow! okay thats so weird,  AC and recirculate are on the jdm far drivers side panel,  whats the button on the bottom of the shifter?   the one to the left of the headlight switch? also, whats all the warning lights?  i know, charge, at oil temp, brake, check engine,  stop lamp, brake fluid,,, thats all i know,,, looks like thats got more

2 hours ago, turbodog said:

woow! okay thats so weird,  AC and recirculate are on the jdm far drivers side panel,  whats the button on the bottom of the shifter?   the one to the left of the headlight switch? also, whats all the warning lights?  i know, charge, at oil temp, brake, check engine,  stop lamp, brake fluid,,, thats all i know,,, looks like thats got more

The dash controls are quite a different layout to my later model NZ new Omega. Left of headlights is he height control button (removed so doesn't work). Haven't looked at warning lights in enough detail, will review.

On 3/5/2021 at 4:57 PM, KiwiGL said:

Warrant of fitness. Vehicle safety check. Required every 6 months for vehicles manufactured before 2000 in NZ.

Every six months!! Geez, that’s crazy. Each state is different in Oz. So here in Vic, you do a check over for a Roadworthy Certificate, often known as a RWC, then you go in for rego. Pay your rego each year and you’re all good. 

Your beast looks so good. And that factory cruise on the steering wheel, plus the digi dash! Good score there sir! Look after her ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 11:24 PM, el_freddo said:

Every six months!! Geez, that’s crazy. Each state is different in Oz. So here in Vic, you do a check over for a Roadworthy Certificate, often known as a RWC, then you go in for rego. Pay your rego each year and you’re all good. 

Your beast looks so good. And that factory cruise on the steering wheel, plus the digi dash! Good score there sir! Look after her ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thank you! Yes, 6 months is a bit excessive given she's only going to do a couple of thousand kms a year, if that.

• Sad 1

On 3/10/2021 at 12:05 PM, KiwiGL said:

Sure is, built 1984. Build number in the 3000s if I'm reading the plate right!

May you share a photo of the Plate, even if you blur the serial number,

this is for the people who don't remember that production of the EA82 started in 1984.

(Subaru got the Prototype of that engine in 1982, along with the first L series Prototype.

But that's another subject, sorry for the offtopicness).

I really like your Subie.

On 3/10/2021 at 2:31 AM, el_freddo said:

I just realised this is a series 1... 

Just like Mine! :)

Kind Regards.

6 hours ago, Loyale 2.7 Turbo said:

May you share a photo of the Plate, even if you blur the serial number,

this is for the people who don't remember that production of the EA82 started in 1984.

(Subaru got the Prototype of that engine in 1982, along with the first L series Prototype.

But that's another subject, sorry for the offtopicness).

I really like your Subie.

Just like Mine! :)

Kind Regards.

Thanks Jez. Might try get a photo for you.

I've just been reading your thread on the electric dual fan swap. Have ordered the Hyundai temp switches off rockauto and have a cheap 12" thermo fan plus relays and fuses coming. Will do the install on my omega first as that's currently just running a single electric fan and no mechanical fan. Gets a little warm at times at the lights... If it works well (which I imagine it will) I will also do the same on the Leone for more power and more coolness.

• Like 1