Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Let the Brat project begin....again!

Greetings Subaru enthusiasts. I have been checking in on this site on and off since 2003. My intention has been to resurrect my 1984 Brat, which I purchased new. It currently sits under several layers of car covers and I am determined, now that I am retired, to peel these off and start the process of breathing new life into this car. Its has seen many exploits as I had some hobbies that it was especially well suited for...and I intend to start pursuing some of these again as well. I have not been idle altogether as I have snatched up and stockpiled parts and components through the years for this project. I could still use some parts, doors in particular, and lot's of advice (already found lot's of good info on this board). I'm located in NY on Long Island but will travel to get stuff if it's within reason and worth the trip. Look forward to hearing from you. 

Across the little pond from you in Bridgeport CT. Good luck in your retirement and with your project Brat. 

Whatever I find that may help you I’ll gladly contribute. Currently I am cleaning house of 1970-79 parts. Unfortunately for you and the other later Subaru owners I already purged most of my later parts for 1980-84 and 1985-94. But some stuff still pops up now and then. Come warm weather I’ll be back at it. 

As for hobbies to go with the Brat , for me it was archery and before that firearm deer hunting. Whatever your hobbies I hope the Brat shows itself well someday for you.

My concern from reading your post is what the covers may have done to inhibit rust. Best wishes on that account. 

My storage is in Milford just off I-95 , maybe we’ll meet up there this spring. 

I know I have a gen 2 front “A” bar. 

Enjoy ! 
Paul 

Hey Paul - Last I checked...and that was about a year ago, the rust hadn't progressed much since I mothballed the car. That's not to say that there isn't a fair amount of rust but that's what I expect will be some of the "fun" in doing this project. Fortunately, over the years I have acquired most of the panels I will need (rockers, quarters, etc.). My doors are in sad shape but I've got them off the car and in my shed and, unless I find better, I will start doing the surgery on them to get them back in shape. 

Interestingly, I purchased the Brat when I got engaged and my fiancé (now wife of 35 years) really frowned on my interest in hunting (deer / rifle). My interests were shifting anyway so I gave up hunting for backpacking and scuba diving. Pushed those to the limit until the kids came along in '87. Please don't get the wrong impression of my wife, with the exception of shooting animals, she was / is cool with my excesses. Like having a 1984 Brat sitting on the driveway for 25 years! 

I will take the front "A" bar. Let me know whenever you have anything applicable to this model. I will certainly make the trip to Milford whenever you think it's worthwhile and safe. 

Regards,

Larry Z

Cool , keep in touch and we’ll get together soon enough. 

Search for those doors out west and save the effort if they’re really bad. Any two door works. You probably knew that. Just swap Brat glass over. 

This board was quite active before the masses were lured over to the current attraction. You knew that too. ;)

Talk soon. 

To be honest, I didn't know about the "exodus" to Facebook. And to be honest again, I don't have a Facebook account. I was in IT for 25 years. Early on I resolved to keep my social media presence very limited. I'm sure that you probably are familiar with the most obvious reasons. Well, maybe I should relent and come over to the dark side!

On 2/28/2021 at 12:44 AM, moosens said:

I’ve used Greyhound for panels

Not sure what Greyhound is but if it's a link or place I should know about, please share. 

For sure I also try my best to avoid FB. And I don’t use their messenger service since they are already too intrusive. More in that some other time.

Greyhound , the bus people , they also do shipping. Many of us have used them for large items. Just need to pick up at the local terminal. Cost effective if you need a hood , large panel , etc. 

Talk soon. Cheers! 

20 hours ago, zenzor said:

To be honest, I didn't know about the "exodus" to Facebook. And to be honest again, I don't have a Facebook account. I was in IT for 25 years. Early on I resolved to keep my social media presence very limited. I'm sure that you probably are familiar with the most obvious reasons. Well, maybe I should relent and come over to the dark side!

don't do it.  it's horrible.  start calling texting or emailing or having coffee with people more often instead, that's more social and beneficial than social media. 

i have a couple of business owner friends who aren't on social media.   i say business owners - because they have some strong reasons to use social media but don't.  they have minimalistic/ghost/fake accounts and only use them to look at facebook marketplace or to be able to open a link someone else texts them. they're not the type that says they don't use it - they literally never use it, have never invited or connected with any family or friends on it.  they've made up names that aren't searchable - like use their middle name mispelled, put minimal information up, and don't connect with any friends or family on it at all - if they need a couple "friends" they'll just invite some distant acquaintenances that aren't connected or some random local jokers to friend them as place holders.  so you could do that - get a facebook just to see links or use marketplace - just totally avoid even giving any one you're information or connecting even with your closest people on it. 

if forums are college, social media is middle school. the same questions get asked every week, bad answers and suggestions run rampant, and there's a lot of "look at me".  basically take the worst that forums had to offer and magnify it a few orders of magnitude...but there's no pros to social media unless you're lazy or physically impaired and can't login to another site.

good luck getting the brat back up and running!

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 2

On 3/2/2021 at 1:28 AM, moosens said:

For sure I also try my best to avoid FB. And I don’t use their messenger service since they are already too intrusive. More in that some other time.

Greyhound , the bus people , they also do shipping. Many of us have used them for large items. Just need to pick up at the local terminal. Cost effective if you need a hood , large panel , etc. 

Talk soon. Cheers! 

How obvious was that? Never considered Greyhound for shipping stuff thanks. 

On 3/2/2021 at 7:40 AM, idosubaru said:

don't do it.  it's horrible.  start calling texting or emailing or having coffee with people more often instead, that's more social and beneficial than social media. 

i have a couple of business owner friends who aren't on social media.   i say business owners - because they have some strong reasons to use social media but don't.  they have minimalistic/ghost/fake accounts and only use them to look at facebook marketplace or to be able to open a link someone else texts them. they're not the type that says they don't use it - they literally never use it, have never invited or connected with any family or friends on it.  they've made up names that aren't searchable - like use their middle name mispelled, put minimal information up, and don't connect with any friends or family on it at all - if they need a couple "friends" they'll just invite some distant acquaintenances that aren't connected or some random local jokers to friend them as place holders.  so you could do that - get a facebook just to see links or use marketplace - just totally avoid even giving any one you're information or connecting even with your closest people on it. 

if forums are college, social media is middle school. the same questions get asked every week, bad answers and suggestions run rampant, and there's a lot of "look at me".  basically take the worst that forums had to offer and magnify it a few orders of magnitude...but there's no pros to social media unless you're lazy or physically impaired and can't login to another site.

good luck getting the brat back up and running!

Pleased to meet you Ido. Yeah, we could have a prolonged conversation on this topic but bottom line is that you and I are probably aligned in our attitudes on social media. I must admit that when Moosens provided those links earlier, I was thinking along the lines of what you're suggesting (they have minimalistic/ghost/fake accounts and only use them to look at facebook marketplace or to be able to open a link someone else texts them) Never had a compelling reason to do it before. Thanks.