Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'83 Gl-10 Wagon "Dorothy"

Long time lurker here. I've got an '83 GL wagon that I just Weberized. Pretty new to carburetor work but it seems to have gone well.

I have one remaining question. The Hitachi's air cleaner had a hot air intake. Now that its gone, I am not sure what to do with the hose that led to it. Cap it? Route it somewhere else? I could not find a mention of it in the various Hitcahi -> Weber threads.

Thanks!

soob.thumb.jpg.ca12d805d3f2028de80f549aea396d8b.jpg

Edited by wilsonia
new title

Fantastic, hose is gone. I've put >100 miles on with the new carburetor and it's running great. I finally have a consistent idle on this car.

Since there's some interest I've changed the title and I'm turning this into a general thread for the wagon. I've had it for a year now, 3rd owner, 130,xxx miles. It's spent most of its life on a cattle ranch in Eastern Oregon, so practically no rust. A survivor for sure. Original paint. AC is installed but does not work. I had to remove the actuator when installing a new throttle cable for the Weber, but I've kept it in case I ever want to attempt reviving it. Digi-dash doesn't work but pretends to turn on every once in a while.

Now that the carburetor issues are resolved, it's in great shape. It's a super fun car, and I made friends with half the neighborhood when working on it in the street. Turns out she had quite a few secret admirers :D

If I had the resources, I'd be putting an EA82 5-speed transmission on this. The current one is alright, but kicks out of 3rd if you're not careful. My understanding is this is the standard for these 4 speeds.

Unfortunately, once I get everything fixed on this I probably have to sell it. The late-pandemic financial situation is growing increasingly worse, and this is not my only old car. I'm going to try to hold on to it if I can though!

Edited by wilsonia

Sweet wagon mate! A friend of mine had the same colour as yours. Only the touring wagons of certain years got the digital dash over here, other wise it as vase model spec instrumentation like the brumby/brat. 

He offroaded it, more so after putting a 2 inch lift and slightly larger tyres. The thing was mint off-road! I wish he still had it. It went everywhere anything else we came across went - except for those bloody comp-spec off-roaders. 

Anyway. All the best with maintaining this lovely wagon. 

Cheers 

Bennie

On 3/3/2021 at 7:42 AM, wilsonia said:

Unfortunately, once I get everything fixed on this I probably have to sell it. The late-pandemic financial situation is growing increasingly worse, and this is not my only old car. I'm going to try to hold on to it if I can though!

You may decide to keep this wagon and sell whatever other ride you have.

Financial these cars are fuel and money savers once they are running well.

There's a reason your neighbors and people on this board are interested in your wagon...

Telling this board you will sell it, almost is like the sound of a dying animal to a pack of wolves... you got all the wolves attention...

Enjoy the wagon, it will grow on you more and more. And if you do ever want to sell, this Wolf in Seattle is interested in buying.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

So I spent a good amount of time fixing stuff on this with the intention of getting it ready to sell. Now that I put in the effort I don't think I can bring myself to. It is insane how much more pull it has with the Weber. Also the gas mileage improved from 20 mpg highway to 33 mpg - almost hard to believe.

The old (original) windshield had a huge crack in it. I managed to get it replaced with much difficulty. It appears Safelite has bought up the remaining US supply of gaskets (WCR-417). I attempted to go through them and the service guy broke the chrome locking strip. He said there was nothing they could do and returned the car with a now non-water tight windshield. I found a local glass shop willing to do the replacement using a locking strip from 80's GM vehicles (WLS 848/853 SP). I had to plead with Safelite for days to sell me the gasket at retail - I guess this is strictly against company policy these days. I almost gave up trying to convince them to get paid for doing nothing, but thankfully they finally caved.

Anyways, the local glass people were stoked on the condition under the gasket. They even sent me this nice photo! Huge shoutout to Discount Auto Glass in Portland.

Lmwmjk6.jpg

Edited by wilsonia

The history of your wagon being in a dry climate shows there, great shape in that windshield seal area metal. Given that your wagon has factory a/c and p/s, the Sunroof must be factory as well?

Usually Sunroof models rot out, because of the Sunroof. :lol:

• Like 1

I’m super jealous about that windscreen area under the windscreen! 

Funny how these things grow on you. The 5speed swap would be a nice touch to a great vehicle that you have there. It’s definitely a keeper in my book!

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2021 at 9:54 PM, 6 Star said:

The history of your wagon being in a dry climate shows there, great shape in that windshield seal area metal. Given that your wagon has factory a/c and p/s, the Sunroof must be factory as well?

Usually Sunroof models rot out, because of the Sunroof. :lol:

It is!

On 5/25/2021 at 8:04 AM, 6 Star said:

In your first photo there is a Brush Guard on the front... removed for later?

Good eye, yes it had a brush guard on the front, definitely looked aftermarket and wasn't really my vibe so it's off for now. I imagine it was real useful on the ranch :)