Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Brake Caliper Rebuild Kit

I'm having a hard time finding a rear caliper rebuild kit for an '86 XT; anyone know of a good source, OR

Know of reasonably prices rear caliper assembly? Not having much success with AutoZone or O'Reilly's. 

Subaru says discontinued. 
I didn’t see one listed on rockauto

lots of front stuff, no rear. 

I’d scour aftermarket next. Sometimes it helps to search for 1988 XT6, same rear caliper as the XT but search won’t show all the Forester “XT” stuff. 

The rear caliper comes in 2 size pistons - I can't recall the sizes from memory - and only one of the two sizes is readily available. The other has been sold out for some time. There are a few remanufactured options available but I have found they are poorly rebuilt using piston boots that don't fit, bleeder valves that are way too big, and no rust protection other than a coat of paint. Measure the OD of your piston, and I'll see if I can find the links I had.

On 3/5/2021 at 6:15 AM, dfoyl said:

The rear caliper comes in 2 size pistons - I can't recall the sizes from memory - and only one of the two sizes is readily available. The other has been sold out for some time. There are a few remanufactured options available but I have found they are poorly rebuilt using piston boots that don't fit, bleeder valves that are way too big, and no rust protection other than a coat of paint. Measure the OD of your piston, and I'll see if I can find the links I had.

Are you sure there are two styles? I’d love to hear more if you got links. They’re so simple snd few changes I thought all rear EA82 was the same.  

Maybe early 85/86s are different?

With those old cars I’d guess they’re mis-labeling kits between EA81 and EA82 or confusing the early EJ/EA overlap.

Edited by idosubaru

On 3/5/2021 at 9:16 AM, 1 Lucky Texan said:

can he upgrade to the style that IS available? Or maybe a brake set from a different model?

Yep, all EA are simple, I thought there was only one rear caliper. so yes swap EA82 style if it exists or do the rear ebrake conversion rear Nissan caliper, but don’t use the ebrake.