Ultimate Subaru Message Board

War Wagon (1986 GL Adventure Build)

89GLWarWGN

Thought I would start a thread to document my build and let others enjoy it too as I have enjoyed all the other builds on here!

To start things off, a bit of back ground. I found a 350$ 92 Loyale and a 89 GL 5spd D/R and planned on making my sweet ride out of thoes but my 89 GL started to stink BAD and found a family of 7+ mice had made the A/C ducts home for months and I pulled literal chunks of crap from behind the dash. After 2 weeks of trying to clean it i gave up and decided to make it the parts car and try and find a non-mice-infested car to start with. Since the GL was now the parts car I sold my Loyale ( for more than I bought it for to help fund the project). Months of looking later I found my car (bought if from another USMB guy) a sweet 1986 GL 5spd D/R with only 140k original miles named ( by the owner) Ole Blue. 

20210308_092330.jpg

Ole Blue had a drilled out cat and was pretty loud so my first step was to replace the exhaust with my 89s exhaust minus the muffler that I replaced with a 2" straight pipe. I should also preface that this is a pretty "budget build" for about $2500 but plan on adding things bit by bit till its what I want. Did the welding my self so hence why it looks like crap haha.

20210308_093532.png

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

How did I miss the start of this build? I love the L series and can’t wait to be driving mine again soon!

I like that flex section of exhaust pipe you have there, I’ll have to look into where I can source some over my way as it’ll help me out with a project.

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Here she is all "finished"(never truly are). Sorry for the crappy pic thought I could upload as much as I wanted. Stats are:

Original 1.8L EA82 with Hitachi carb (gonna do the FI conversion soon) 5 speed D/R.

4" SJR kit ( I made my own 3" spacers for the rear to help with tire clearance)

215/75R15 Hiada Pumas (they were cheap, ran out of money but not bad so far) on old 50s Chevy 6 lug steelies

Roof basket for the spare

Fixed a bunch of stuff, drive shaft, cv's, seats, re-bent skid plate.

Resizer_16345743174170.jpg