Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Couple random Q’s about 2003 Legacy wagon

Hoping to find some other high mileage and/or long term owners to assist. 

Just getting used to this model. I tend to be “that guy” driving older cars so it takes me a while to catch on to later generations. Thanks for understanding.

The dual sunroof set , how are they for leaks ? 
Typical maintenance where I should clean out the drains with a wire snake ? Use anything on the rubber gaskets ? Anything special about anything related to these I greatly appreciate your input. 

Yes I have a fobia I guess it is about those pesky pieces of glass overhead. 

Gas mileage ? I seem to put in around 16 gallons running that sucker to near dry and it responds with around 370 miles. That’s WITH the yellow gas tank icon lit up for a solid 40 miles or so , so yes I’m running it mighty low Once in a while. 

So 23 1/4 MPG sound ok to you ? 

I’ll have more questions soon I’m sure. 

Thanks

Don't open the dual sunroofs. Just leave them be. The less you use them, the less they are likely to fail. Leaking isn't the problem - it's when the plastic mechanism's fail or the motors fail that's the issue. Very difficult to replace - even the dealers typically won't do it unless the customer buys a new assembly - which is likely no longer available. 

Mileage seems a bit low for a non-Outback. 

GD

• Like 1

Thanks! They’ll stay shut.

As for mileage soon I’ll be doing a tune up and I’ll see if that improves it any. Running steel wheels currently but I have the alloys in the cargo area and next chance I have they’re going on with a fresh set of rubber. 

Should mention this is a manual transmission. 

Anything else for warnings about this generation please feel free to post. 

At this point do they still put relays in places that get wet and corrode ? Like the old gens.

We use our sunroof all the time. The cable that operates the front one is broken, so you have to push it up manually, but no other issues. I did just buy an '02 VDC that someone has glued the front sunroof shut, but it only has 120k miles on it, so it's been sitting a lot, so I'm guessing the drains are clogged. I will be cutting it open to try to remedy it correctly.

I've not had any relay issues.

A lot of variables for mileage, but that sounds about right. I don't calculate mine, as 90% of my miles are in town.

I hear a lot on the internet about an oring in the fuel pump assembly that swells, and cracks the tab on the metal cap it's under. Dorman even makes a repair kit for it, now. I've not had an issue with it, but we have fairly low ethanol content up here.

• Like 1