Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 Subaru Loyale FWD 3AT Front Differential Repair or Replace Build

Replace those seals. Mark the start location of the “sun dial”, count the turns out, pulling gently on the sun dial once the O ring is clear of the case (becomes very easy to undo by hand at that point). Once the sun dial comes free mark the case so you know where to start counting the threads. 

Do one side at a time. It’s not rocket science so don’t be scared about doing this job. Just make sure you prime the seal and the O ring with some rubber grease lube. 

Cant help with a 2wd cross member sorry. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

Ok, so it is essentially, mark the original position, count the revolutions to remove exactly and reinstall at exactly the same revolutions and to the original marked position.  It basically is setting the backlash to the original factory assembly point,correct.The trans has been sitting in my heated garage on a shelf for 6 years. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Moto7man said:

Ok, so it is essentially, mark the original position, count the revolutions to remove exactly and reinstall at exactly the same revolutions and to the original marked position.  It basically is setting the backlash to the original factory assembly point,correct.The trans has been sitting in my heated garage on a shelf for 6 years. 

Correct ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Moving along with the build. I installed the pedal box, the clutch cable and longer MT speedometer Rear main seal, flywheel,clutch friction disc and pressure plate with 2wd specific alignment tool installed and torque to Subaru specs.

Edited by Moto7man
Photos wrong

The steering column wasn’t too hard to remove and reinstall but it takes time. I need these console parts if anyone has them. I had found them with one person on another board but now he won’t respond to my massages. I need the cubby/console and plastic square cover that the shift boot fits into. That would be top right cubby and right below, the squarish plastic cover with the hole with the shifter hole.

Edited by Moto7man
Wrong photo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Original parts for console have arrived. I have an issue on my 5MT 2WD transmission. Can the stub axles on both sides of the transmission be pulled out? Are they held in with a expandable snap ring or do I have to split the transmission to replace them?
see attached  screen capture, part #8.

2C694CDC-D0D9-46BA-91D3-76F87B2B8B27.png

Edited by Moto7man
Upload problem

Split transmission to remove the circlip that holds the diff stub axle in place. No other way to do it other than brute force - and lose the circlip in the box. 

Not what you wanted to hear I bet.

What’s the issue with that stub axle? They’re pretty tough things! 

Cheers

Bennie 

5 hours ago, Moto7man said:

Moving to the end of the build and I have a question. Since my Loyale is now a fwd MT , does the exhaust bracket for the mid exhaust pipe attach the rear end of the mt transmission and using Subaru bracket 44121D No.5?

That looks correct

Moving to the end of the build and I have a question. Since my Loyale is now a fwd MT , does the exhaust bracket for the mid exhaust pipe attach the to rear end of the mt transmission near the shift linkage,using Subaru bracket 44121D No.5?

On 11/7/2021 at 8:54 PM, Turbone said:

That looks correct

Thanks! Does anyone where I can  get one? I have looked everywhere and I can’t find one.