Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4 lug wheel options, spacing, etc

I used the search engine, but did't find any discussion of what I am specifically trying to figure out. I currently have 14" Peugeot wheels, but don't like the backspacing. I would like a wheel that sits more like the stock ones, more inside the fenders. I'm thinking of doing the 6 lug swap, just because its getting more and more difficult to find good tires for 14" rims. Which is why I upgraded to the 14's in the first place, because the stock 13's were becoming impossible to find tires worth anything. 

1. Does any body know if you get the stock Toyota 6 lug steelies, that I believe are 15x6, they will sit with similar backspacing, and not stick out like the Peugeot's?

2. Or does anybody have any experience with just the steel Peugeot's? Do they have the same backspacing, and stick out the same as the alloys? 

3. And if anybody has any of these, or any 4x140 lug pattern for that matter that would sit similar to stock wheels, would they feel like selling them??

There are three options for wheels on EA chassis, as I see things.

Option 1:  Run 4x140 wheels.  There are lots of options out there, but they're mostly 13x5.5 and can get expensive if you have to import them.

Option 2: 6-lug conversion.  Most of the 6-lug wheels will have massive offsets and won't fit like the OEM wheels.  This is the worst option, IMHO, but also the least expensive.

Option 3: Subaru 5-lug conversion.  I run this setup and currently have 16x7 2.5RS wheels with 205/45/16 tires that don't have too much offset and don't rub.  This will be the most expensive option as you need to replace the hubs with XT6, or custom machined, hubs to fit the impreza/legacy/forester/STI lug pattern.

Awesome, thanks a bunch for your opinion and tips. With that set-up, do your tires fit inside the wheel wells then? Like the stock ones do? I don't really want to go over 15" wheels so I will still have plenty of sidewall to be able to air down a bit when need be. But 15" steelies from Subaru's would be real easy to come by. 

Did you get hubs off an xt6? or do the conversion? either way, what was the process like? 

Thanks a bunch!

On 3/17/2021 at 5:04 PM, bratlife said:

Awesome, thanks a bunch for your opinion and tips. With that set-up, do your tires fit inside the wheel wells then? Like the stock ones do? I don't really want to go over 15" wheels so I will still have plenty of sidewall to be able to air down a bit when need be. But 15" steelies from Subaru's would be real easy to come by. 

Did you get hubs off an xt6? or do the conversion? either way, what was the process like? 

Thanks a bunch!

The RS wheels do tuck inside the bodywork, but to a lessor degree than the stock wheels.

MY EA82 has the XT6 conversion.  I didn't do the install, but it's pretty straight forward, IF you can find the parts.  Do a search, someone has done a writeup.

On 3/15/2021 at 2:36 PM, carfreak85 said:

There are three options for wheels on EA chassis, as I see things.

Option 1:  Run 4x140 wheels.  There are lots of options out there, but they're mostly 13x5.5 and can get expensive if you have to import them.

Option 2: 6-lug conversion.  Most of the 6-lug wheels will have massive offsets and won't fit like the OEM wheels.  This is the worst option, IMHO, but also the least expensive.

Option 3: Subaru 5-lug conversion.  I run this setup and currently have 16x7 2.5RS wheels with 205/45/16 tires that don't have too much offset and don't rub.  This will be the most expensive option as you need to replace the hubs with XT6, or custom machined, hubs to fit the impreza/legacy/forester/STI lug pattern.

You forgot option four: Change your lug pattern to 4X114.3

which has a wide variety of wheels in the appropriate offset.

I run my "BumbleBeast" modified since year 1996, see:

RearDiscs-NewPattern.gif?t=1278932715

Such is the Lug Pattern for old Accords, 240SX, RWD Corollas including AE86, Elantras, etc... 

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
to add some more information