Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Europeon EA82T/XT

I am pretty sure the methods of testing hp in the US vs Europe were different then.  It isn’t always an apples to apples comparison.

That said, I have no idea if there was any difference in the vehicles.

Edited by Sasse

Pretty sure Euro EA82Ts didn't have catalytic converters.  They weren't required in Britain until the mid 1990's.  I think the ECU may also have been different than USDM, but this is all conjecture.  Lots of EU-based members on the Facebook groups could answer this easily. 

Edited by carfreak85
  • Like 1

The standard response for decades has been EU injectors and ECU were different....but I've never seen much that definitively confirms that. 

With different gas, testing, government regs, it might be hard to find out unless someone has flow tested both injectors or dumped both source codes...

I have had several EA82T cars here in europe so might be able to spot the differences. Firstly the injectors as mentioned before are bigger, different ecu tuned for our 98 octane gas, more boost. These alone should gain thath difference in power. Oh and there is no difference in power between the models with catalytic converter or tve ones without. 

It's fact that the european ea82t is rated at 100 kW.  

On 3/19/2021 at 5:53 PM, carfreak85 said:

tomhyyt, do you think you could find part numbers for these EU-specific components so that we could compare them to USDM part numbers?

Yes I certainly can do that. For starters here is a picture of couple ECU:s. 22611AA440 is from my 1990 turbo touring wagon and the other 22611AA430 is from UK right hand drive model (I have this only because the connector in it that I will need for later use). 

Just let me know what parts would you like to know part numbers from and I will try to dig them up. 

EDIT: I have always tought that japanese ea82t also has more power than the US ones too. 

IMG_20210320_135119.jpg

Edited by tomhyyt

15 minutes ago, carfreak85 said:

Neither of those ECU part numbers show up in my '85-'90 parts catalog.

Got the injector, downpipe, MAF, boost controller, etc. part numbers?

I' ll check them later when I have the parts near me. Downpipe is probably the same as US ones or that's what I've always thought looking trough pictures around the web. I'll see. The other parts when I can and post them back here. 

So here's the injector numbers that I have on hand right now:

Set from turbo MPFI engine color brown: 3 with number 0976 63080 and one 0976 6228N (so probably one has been changed at some point)

Set from known turbo MPFI engine color brown: all of them with number 0975 8X31N EDIT: JECS A46-00 visible on one side. 

Set from known NA MPFI engine color green: all of them with number 0448 7525D

There is also jecs stamp in all of them and a small number on the other side that is pretty much unreadable. That's pretty much everything I cand find on them. 

Edited by tomhyyt

To start with, those P/Ns for the injectors don't follow the part numbering for Subaru that I'm familiar with.  You don't usually see letters at the end of the number.  Could be a Euro thing, but my suspicion is that those numbers are JECS numbers.

I don't have any uninstalled injectors on hand, but my catalog lists Turbo/MPFI injectors as: 16600AA010 for MPFI and 16600AA000 for Turbo engines.

14 minutes ago, carfreak85 said:

To start with, those P/Ns for the injectors don't follow the part numbering for Subaru that I'm familiar with.  You don't usually see letters at the end of the number.  Could be a Euro thing, but my suspicion is that those numbers are JECS numbers.

I don't have any uninstalled injectors on hand, but my catalog lists Turbo/MPFI injectors as: 16600AA010 for MPFI and 16600AA000 for Turbo engines.

Yes those have to be JECS numbers. They don't have subaru part number on them so they are pretty hard to identify. Injector color is more likely better way to identify them. I've read that the US turbo injectors are green, but I can't find that info at the moment. 

Going to my garage / parts storage on weekend so I can check some parts out then. I have a complete EA82T engine in stock form in there so can check what I can then. 

Edited by tomhyyt

11 hours ago, carfreak85 said:

Can your local Subaru dealership look up the part numbers?

I'll have to look if they can find the part numbers. That will take some time since I have no plans on going to a dealer for a while. 

7 hours ago, SiriusBlack said:

I recently replaced the injectors in my 87 EA82T. The old o0nes are green colored. The part numbers are illegible.

That kind of supports my theory of them being different too. 

25 minutes ago, carfreak85 said:

No worries, this isn't a life-or-death situation.  As long as they still have the paper catalog (maybe digital in EU?) and a patient soul behind the parts counter, I'm sure they could look up the part number over the phone.

could probably call a dealer in England for free with an app and ask them yourself. 

Giles has extensive experience digging into EA82 turbo's in england, might know a good dealer to call. 

• 4 weeks later...

I would suggest the HP rating was tested in Japan , so a like for like comparo.

Which EA82T are you comparing, S1, S2 or the spider?

With S1 , my manuals had different specs for the TB cut in points of the TPSwitch for the euro or arabian market compared to Australia. S2 onwards had a TPSensor.

Who remembers the weird cylinder heads someone sold out of Germany? I think nncoolg bought them for his Aussie Vortex

Edited by Step-a-toe

On 4/29/2021 at 9:21 AM, Step-a-toe said:

I would suggest the HP rating was tested in Japan , so a like for like comparo.

Which EA82T are you comparing, S1, S2 or the spider?

With S1 , my manuals had different specs for the TB cut in points of the TPSwitch for the euro or arabian market compared to Australia. S2 onwards had a TPSensor.

Who remembers the weird cylinder heads someone sold out of Germany? I think nncoolg bought them for his Aussie Vortex

There should be no differences in power between different year EA82T models. I remember having one flap style air flow sensor equipped engine that should have the TPswitch and it had same 100 kW as my hotwire air flow sensor ones. 

I remember those 16 valve heads. Here is his youtube channel where he has a lot of videos of them: