Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3 hours ago, Rooster2 said:

Does 2010 Forester have a reputation of blowing head gaskets?

Yes. But there’s nuance. They came from the factory with the “updated” 770 headgasket.

Updated gasket from the factory. Or to say it another way - you get the updated gasket installed under new assembly conditions. Not updated gasket after failing and assembly with new parts which is a very reasonable repair option most of us are comfortable with. 

So it’s the best EJ25 possibility but not immune. 

Edited by idosubaru

I have done 2010 AND 2011 EJ25x head gaskets. Both for External oil leaks and internal leaks. So bear in mind, the weakness still exists.

In fact, the last 2011 Outback I did over 2 years ago, BLEW the top hose connection off the radiator while our daughter was on the interstate doing 70 this past summer. By the time she pulled over and we had it towed, the heads AND the block were warped. After many searches, I found this to be common on the 2010-2012 Outbacks ( last to use the EJ25x ).  Appears to be a combination of upper radiator weakness and the Long Life Coolant ( blue ) they used, making the plastic VERY BRITTLE.

I still have faith in the EJ motor, owned 8 since 1990 and they have served us well. Found a young buyer for that 2011 who was "biting at the bit" to repair and it is back on the road. Our daughter now owns a 2016 Forester, out 14th Subaru since 1979.