Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine sputtering upon acceleration , missing, etc

Good morning all,

I posted a while back about a fuel pump, which thanks to y’all’s help I was able to get replaced.

However, a new problem has arisen. 
My 87 GL-10 wagon isn’t running well. This morning it started up fine, but began to misfire and sputter when I put it in drive. I replaced my spark plugs and fuel filter, but now it won’t turn over.

I have a Haynes Manual to go on.

Does any body have any idea what it could be?

distributor cap and rotor maybe?

thanks,

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...

You're saying it won't turn over at all now? If that is the case check the battery power and connections at the battery and ground connections.
Sometimes bad Ground and/or bad Battery Connections are the demon...
Put the correct size socket on the crank pulley bolt and spin the engine over with a big ratchet or cheater bar to see that nothing has locked up or started to stick in the rotating assembly of the engine. I know its metric, but 7/8 fits well.
Once the car is turning over and or starting again:
Check that you are getting spark at all 4 ends of the spark plug wires, and that they are in the right order as el_freddo says.
If that all checks out; maybe you still have a problem with dirty fuel? How old is the gas in the tank?
Sometimes a dose of Stabil, Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner, Heat, and/or all of the above work.
Also, on 3rd gens (EA82s) there are TWO fuel filters... you only mention replacing one.

Edited by 6 Star
  • Like 1

Lets do basics.

By "wont turn over" do you mean wont start or wont crank?

Not cranking and the missing is more indicitive of a charging issue (bad alternator)

If it does crank and not start do you have spark?

Check the battery voltage.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, scoobydube said:

My guess is the $20 Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor that screws into the catalytic converter.  Your welcome in advance.

That's an oxygen sensor, not a single EA-series engine was ever equipped with an EGT.  In fact, I don't think a single USDM Subaru ever had an EGT until the 2002 WRX's EJ205.

• Like 1