Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Warped frame jack points on a 1993 Loyale

Hello all, 

I have a question about the jack points on my loyale. The frame is currently folding over on itself wherever I jack the car up. Should I continue to jack it in the spots I've already used? Or should I bend a new spot of the frame? Any reinforcement ideas? 

Here is a link with 3 pictures...

Warped frame/ Jack points https://imgur.com/a/JFc3pbh

Thanks!

1 hour ago, 6 Star said:

Ya don't jack from that!

Thats the rocker panel...

Further under the car you will see actual frame, use a piece of wood as a buffer between it and the jack.

Or lift from the crossmembers, lower control arms...

Frame? What frame, its unibody. That is where you are supposed to jack from. You need a pinch weld adapter for most floor jacks to lift from there, they are about ~$20. Or you can get some 1/4" wall 2" square tubing and cut a notch in it. Don't forget to get adapters for your jack stands too. 

Most hack shops just jack on the pinch weld and roll it over, right on the rocker and dent that, or worst yet on the oil pan/diff.

No issue jacking from the rear diff! Front diff could be iffy so best to jack from the engine crossmember just behind the sump. 

If you’re not using the standard jack for the pinch weld seam under the rocker panels then you need to do as Ionstorm66 said - get/make an adaptor. 

Or do as 6 star said and jack from an appropriate place on the rear suspension frame or the front suspension/front chassis rails that continue half way along the floor pan ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

Chassis rails.  Rear diff. EA82s have a small rear structure point just in front of the rear tires but offset inward like the front chassis rail.  If you set the jack far enough back on the chassis rail and it goes high enough you can jack the entire side of the car off the ground - both wheels.  That’s how I rotate tires and swap summer/winter tires/wheels

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ionstorm66 said:

Frame? What frame, its unibody. That is where you are supposed to jack from. You need a pinch weld adapter for most floor jacks to lift from there, they are about ~$20. Or you can get some 1/4" wall 2" square tubing and cut a notch in it. Don't forget to get adapters for your jack stands too. 

Most hack shops just jack on the pinch weld and roll it over, right on the rocker and dent that, or worst yet on the oil pan/diff.

;) Just as others said below, I use the frame rails, crossmembers, etc.... for the exact reason of your last point, seen the carnage that hack shops can produce on the pinch weld of the rocker.

No jack mods required... simple block of wood so the undercarriage does not get scraped up.

6 hours ago, el_freddo said:

No issue jacking from the rear diff! Front diff could be iffy so best to jack from the engine crossmember just behind the sump. 

If you’re not using the standard jack for the pinch weld seam under the rocker panels then you need to do as Ionstorm66 said - get/make an adaptor. 

Or do as 6 star said and jack from an appropriate place on the rear suspension frame or the front suspension/front chassis rails that continue half way along the floor pan ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

5 hours ago, idosubaru said:

Chassis rails.  Rear diff. EA82s have a small rear structure point just in front of the rear tires but offset inward like the front chassis rail.  If you set the jack far enough back on the chassis rail and it goes high enough you can jack the entire side of the car off the ground - both wheels.  That’s how I rotate tires and swap summer/winter tires/wheels

2003742646_JackBlock.jpg.a6e95acddd8392c0e855dfe6c8bba287.jpg1475085983_Jackpoint.jpg.938a03c38c0aef82c07454d3d81c6dda.jpg

The top pic is a jack block I made from plywood.  The bottom pic is the proper front jack point.  Notice the 2 little notches in the pinch weld.  Between them is where you put the Subaru jack.  There are a similar pair of notches back near the rear wheels. 

• Like 2

Well if the OP ain't confused enough... :D

Lots of ways to get the job done, depends on what you have available.

Those notches on the pinch weld of the rocker panel are where the factory subaru emergency jack go... true it is made to handle the weight of the car as long as The Rust hasn't gotten to it.

• Haha 1