Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BRAT/GL/Loyale replacement center wheel cover rings?

Heys guys,

I've been playing around with my 3D printer and found a file online that someone made as a direct replacement for the original center hub wheel rings (part that hold the center cover into place).

Mine are plastic, and work great! With it being nearly impossible to find any OEM ones still usable, these are a great replacement.

If someone needs a set of 4 printed up, PM me.

20210321_102342.jpg

Edited by Checkerboard Comet
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

If my brain can remember I’ll look in the parts manuals I have and figure that out. Assuming someone else doesn’t chime in with the answer.

My first guess would be the later Loyale style may have changed. Did you own one of those too? 

If I'm recalling correct, the earlier type required the wheel be at least loosened and pulled away from the drum/ rotor to mount in the hole.  The later version allowed the ring to be installed with the wheel mounted to the drum/ rotor..no loosening required.

Some basic centercap noise from the parts manuals. 

1978 and previous get a bolt on cap. Some more heavy and sturdy than others. 

1979 you get the smoothie as I call it with NO bolt but also NO seating ring.

At storage I have the 1980 and 81 parts manuals but here I have an 82 and it shows two styles for each the steel and the flat spoke wheels. Also does NOT show a ring. 

My 1985 manual for the Loyale body has the ring. It’s p/n 23146 GA030. And that is for the flat spoked wheel. 

And then within a manual for the Brat and 2dr from 1985-88 that ring is part number 7231 46000 which is an older p/n 

The two are obviously different style when viewed. 

Hope that info helps someone. 

I would have to say that the early version 7231 46000 is the type which can be placed on the wheel while wheel is mounted. 

And the other , 23146 GA030 has flanges on both inner and outer edges so it must be placed in the wheel before mounting. 

Both versions had flanges around both inner and outer edges, but the later "new and improved" version had spaces cut out of the flanges, to enable installation while the wheel is mounted, no loosening required.

I'm looking through my archive to see if I can find an invoice for the last set I bought.  

The latest invoice I have for the rings is from Aug, 2006.  Part number 7231 46020.  

Edited by NV Zeno
Additional information added
  • Like 1