Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Voice Recognition on 19 Outback Gremlin

When I press the speech icon on the steering wheel it allows me to command phone, media, fan speed and temp control.

When my android phone is USB connected, I lose the fan and temp function as the Google assistant comes up instead of the on board voice recognition program.

I have tried the "long press" on the speech button as there is some mention in Starlink/iphone/Siri but with my Android phone, it still opens the Google assistant.

Any tips or tricks.

Edited by brus brother

Yeah, I know I could open the window and use hand signals but the car did come with that stick on the steering column with the auto blinky things.

My latest was an 05 with nothing on the steering wheel but dust and food crumbs.

Reaching down isn't so much an issue as looking down. I have to say I have gotten used to radio and phone volume controls etc. on the wheel without looking down. I was actually partial to the few remaining dial controls pre MY20s when they then introduced full touch controls like an iPad.

Dealer checked other MY 19s on the lot and confirms. From other subie sites, it seems to work on 17s and 20-21s. Apparently 18-19 was Harmon Kardon head unit.

I guess they consider it a feature to reduce functionality?

BTW, any more wise cracks and I'm gonna bring yas up on charges of elder abuse OR start posting my own tips for extra long funnels or spill proof oil drain pans.

Now... get off my lawn!

Edited by brus brother
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/21/2021 at 2:32 PM, brus brother said:

When I press the speech icon on the steering wheel it allows me to command phone, media, fan speed and temp control.

When my android phone is USB connected, I lose the fan and temp function as the Google assistant comes up instead of the on board voice recognition program.

I have tried the "long press" on the speech button as there is some mention in Starlink/iphone/Siri but with my Android phone, it still opens the Google assistant.

Any tips or tricks.

I did not know this

8 hours ago, nipper said:

ooooo i found all the voice commands

Will there be a test?

Yup long press on speech BUT once phones are USB connected, even that Help menu/choice is gone as Google Assistant/Android Auto takes over and doesn't give a rat's rear about Subaru.

As other posters/sites have suggested, register your complaint with SOA. Incredibly, the rep I spoke to said that mine was the first such complaint he had heard of the issue. OK, sure.

You are still under 3/36 warranty so make them work to explain how they "engineered" this option. Start with your dealer and then progress to SOA in NJ.

Im sort of shocked it understands me. My MG has affected my speech, its not pretty.

Next to figure out is the remote starter. After the siding is up on the house i will (I know its against man rules) read the manual and play with it.