Ultimate Subaru Message Board

76? Subaru in junkyard

1649634705_20210315_123638_HDR3.thumb.jpg.76ab48026c0394aa1556948f4b623fb5.jpgPull in Save in Mead had a 76(I think) coupe sitting there. If anyone lives in the area and needs parts, go get 'em. 

I tried to buy it, as my 77 is rusting away, anything I put on it is doomed, I want a new shell.  Manager of the yard said regardless of condition, they wanted $800 - 1000 for what was left. Shame, as most the interior is useless, and someone broke the grille and took bumpers and some of the trim. not 1000 worth of parts left. But fenders or cut out panels could be useful to others? Maybe someone needs a shell and has that much to Shell out. Has an ea71 auto, engine long block looks intact. (As of the 15th). 

Edited by charles_thomas

Kind of crazy that subaru offered 3 different 2-door "coupe" style cars at the time.

There was the traditional "Fastback" looking Coupe...

The "HardTop" Coupe, which looked very similar to the fastback minus quarter windows...

And there was the "Two-Door-Sedan" to compliment the Four-Door Sedan...

The one posted in the JY above looks like the two-door-sedan...

On 3/23/2021 at 9:37 AM, moosens said:

That’s a Hardtop not a Coupe...

On 3/23/2021 at 3:54 PM, 6 Star said:

Kind of crazy that subaru offered 3 different 2-door "coupe" style cars at the time...

I always get them confused. I have been um. . . 'spoken harshly' at more than once for forgetting which one I drive, haha. 

On 3/24/2021 at 6:08 AM, Subasaurus said:

someone took the windshield already...

If you are looking for a windshield, one of the major glass companies still makes them. My local shop has installed 2 of them for me, about $250 each. 

That junkyard always has some good stuff at it. That day they also had a 78ish Dodge Colt Coupe, and a late 60's Fiat 850.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charles_thomas said:

...and a late 60's Fiat 850.

...Oh man. Getting off topic here but I had a fling with three 850's for a time.

A '68 pre face-lift Coupe

A '68 pre face-lift Spider

And a '71 Sport Spider.

Man were they hawt to look at... but that is about all the time I had for them. The combination of Rust and lack of care in their previous life forced me to sell them all. The Coupe was the most painful for me to separate with.

Long story short, Subaru's are more rewarding to work on. And less rusty!

On 3/26/2021 at 7:55 AM, 6 Star said:

Subaru's are more rewarding to work on. And less rusty!

I wish mine was less rusty, haha. My X1/9 was immaculate, but the '77 Subaru is beyond repair. :/ i always wanted an 850. I still have a 5spd trans and 1800 racing engine from the x1/9 I wanted to put in one.

On 3/26/2021 at 9:32 PM, moosens said:

that’s a deal

and Yeah, very fair price. That's just what they cost here. (I suspect it has gone up.slightly though) Glass place is down the street, small discount for veteran, but it was quoted $254 out the door. Just over $300 for the windshield glass install in my 57 chevy truck. Oddly enough all 3 times the hangup was getting the right dang trim/gasket thing. 57 was just out of stock everywhere.  Apparently several of the subarus use the same windshield, but where the gasket connects to the body is slightly different? Idk. Was weird, one is a channel, the other is a sort of flange thing. 

The PRP gasket no. WCR-288 is the one that fits 1972-79 cars Except Coupe. Also fits the Brat 1977-1981.

For the Coupe there is a different part number. And the upper ears are a bit taller. That given , you can stretch and I think a small relief cut in each ear and make the standard gasket work for those cars. 

Not sure what you’ve come across. There are newer alternatives so maybe you’re seeing something someone came up with.