Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Throttle Hesitation

I know this is an "old" issue. I've read through the older posts on the subject. I've got a similar issue with one of my 93's. Just wanted to pick everyone's brain real quick. See if I could find any new answers. 

93', SPFI, EA82, Manual trans. This is a strange one, the car idles and revs at idle just fine. Under hard acceleration the engine seems to disappear, there's just no power. Real jerky at low speeds. Doesn't seem to matter dead cold or warmed up.

Clutch in - bring up the rpms - clutch out,  it will continue to accelerate briefly. Not ideal, obviously. If I feather the throttle (quickly in and out 1-2") throughout the gear, it accelerates fine. Has plenty of power (relatively speaking!).

What I've done so far, replaced the entire throttle body with a known good one (borrowed my daily drivers), fresh tune up, timing belts are good, timing @ 20*, no error codes...etc.

I haven't cleaned the MAF or checked the O2 sensor. It just has me baffled the way it runs when feathering the throttle. I wouldn't think the MAF or the O2 would be tricked by tapping the pedal throughout the gears. The TPS or IAC made sense, which is why I swapped out the entire TB.

Looking forward to any suggestions! I go back to work tomorrow so it'll be a few days before I get to mess with it again. 

I've never had the O2 do anything but cause emissions failure. 

Could be mildly starving for fuel, T in a pressure gauge.  21PSI, no less.

The CTS can cause drive ability problems, but usually it will run ok hot OR cold.  Or random / intermittent.

I have never had a MAF problem.

Also, check the wiring from the sensors to the ECU.  They can fail also.  BTDT.

• Like 1

Read current and stored codes

check fuel pressure as said

Disconnect oxygen sensor connector and see if anything changes?  

I’d swap a spare MAF, it’s so easy. but I have extras so that’s easy for me to say  

the SPFI doesn’t have a knock sensor does it?