Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Valve cover gasket.

Had the brat running for an extended time today and noticed I had some oil bubbling just pass the exhaust manifold , noticed the axle underneath the driver side valve cover was moist and decided to check the gasket. Non existent, just some red permatex looking stuff, is that what’s causing this most likely? My entire exhaust system looks pretty rough. Rusted out pretty bad will probably take it to my muffler guy . I am going to order a gasket kit and see if that does the trick , let me know if I’m overlooking anything.

Install those dry. Smaller particle cork gasket is better but at this point you may just be happy with whatever comes. 

Soon I’ll be listing stuff for sale again including gasket sets. I also have just valve/rocker cover gaskets when I can dig them out. 

You’ll be fine for now. Payen is a good name from back in the day. Those kits still show up. 

I may seem in a rush but I’m really not. Have been a caregiver for my grandparents for the last 6 years and they have recently passed from lung cancer 10 months apart so I’ve keeping myself busy with the brat. 

ps. I’m in like Subaru number 6 and I’ve never had one that didn’t have some kind of an oil leak. Im sure that’s relatable to everybody 

9 hours ago, 80BratGage said:

Had the brat running for an extended time today and noticed I had some oil bubbling just pass the exhaust manifold , noticed the axle underneath the driver side valve cover was moist and decided to check the gasket. Non existent, just some red permatex looking stuff, is that what’s causing this most likely? My entire exhaust system looks pretty rough. Rusted out pretty bad will probably take it to my muffler guy . I am going to order a gasket kit and see if that does the trick , let me know if I’m overlooking anything.

valve cover gaskets are basically 10 year maintenance items - totally normal to need to replace those on an older vehicle. 

exhaust parts are available brand new aftermarket.  is it just 1 foot sections rusting at flanges and hanger tacks welds or is the entire thing trash, just one section of pipe or the whole thing, how are the rates at the muffler shop, how are they going to repair it?    if you're just going to be patching it once a year for $100 you might be better served getting new. 

a shop i send people to will cut out a rusty flange and weld in pipe for $35-$75.  great price.  but on some exhausts it's not worth it and replacing the entire section makes more sense. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/26/2021 at 6:07 PM, idosubaru said:

valve cover gaskets are basically 10 year maintenance items - totally normal to need to replace those on an older vehicle. 

exhaust parts are available brand new aftermarket.  is it just 1 foot sections rusting at flanges and hanger tacks welds or is the entire thing trash, just one section of pipe or the whole thing, how are the rates at the muffler shop, how are they going to repair it?    if you're just going to be patching it once a year for $100 you might be better served getting new. 

a shop i send people to will cut out a rusty flange and weld in pipe for $35-$75.  great price.  but on some exhausts it's not worth it and replacing the entire section makes more sense. 

Yes was thinking of something like that as well...