Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Part Numbers for 2nd Gen Brat Tailgate

Looking at SubaruParts dot com or the similar Subaru branded sites, they don't even show the "Loyale" as an option on their drop-down-lists.
However using search engines and searching for example a Brat or Loyale part and then including "Subaru Parts" will bring up these older vehicles on their site.

Did this for the Brat Tailgate... Trying to find the part number for the Counter-Sunk Phillips Cap Screw/Bolts that connect part number 10 (The support Stays) to both the Gate and the Body.
They list all the other part numbers but the hardware I'm looking for...

https://www.subaruparts.com/v-1984-subaru-brat--gl--1-8l-h4-gas/body--tailgate

Ordered these through Subaru before back when building up my '85 Brat... Now having a hard time finding them.
Have heard that someone at the Oregon Dealership has The Book with all the numbers.
The nuts here at my local Subaru threw theirs away years ago. :(

Also tried using the Search for this info... got about 5000 results... most of which had nothing to do with what I searched. Tried narrowing it down and the results went to 30,000. Narrowed it down further and went to zero results. Seems the Search prefers the latest posts and the older ones just fall into the clutter.

Edited by 6 Star

Parts catalogs getting that hard to find ? 

But just because we can dig out old factory parts catalogs doesn’t mean they still have the parts. 

Probably have those screws in my miscellaneous nut-n-bolt containers. I’ll post back later or tomorrow. 

Back about 1999/2000 I spent a good amount of time searching “elder” dealerships to inquire about any possible old stock for purchase and heard just too many heartbreaking stories about old stock being tossed. 

Literally missed large containers , before all these smaller containers were in the storage market and only huge containers existed or so it seemed , by as close as three weeks. Other dealers had purged months or years previous. That’s the life cycle. 

Never had the luxury of a Factory Service Manual from Subaru... Wish I had one for the Second and Third generations.

Would be nice to find new screws, otherwise I'll just have to dig around in my Subaru bolt bin for used ones.

Skill test... can you get it in without stripping? :D

Was surprised at some of these parts that are still available on their site.

Here is their list of Tailgate numbers;

751811020 - Body: Gate for Subaru: Brat Imageimage.png.4c6ec31497574b5ee5ba3d2698ab538c.png
#1 Gate

Discontinued

#2 Cover

Inner, center.

Discontinued

#3 Cover

Inner, side.

Discontinued

#4 Handle, Outside

Discontinued

#5 Ornament

$16.79

ADD TO CART

#6 Lock

Lock, Right

Discontinued

#6 Lock

Lock, Left

Discontinued

#7 Lever

$28.26

ADD TO CART

#8 Striker
 Discontinued

#9 Buffer

Buffer, Right

Discontinued

#9 Buffer

Buffer, Left

Discontinued

#10 Support

Discontinued

#11 Hinge

Discontinued

8 hours ago, moosens said:

You need part numbers ? 

I tend to forget sometimes but I do have my factory parts manuals/catalogs at home currently. Let me know which ones you need , which year vehicle and model , the usual stuff. 

Yup, still humbly in need of the numbers for those cap screw/bolts that are countersunk. Lots of knowledge in those articles posted on that page... like those screws that hold the stays need to be tightened to 9-17 ft. lbs. of torque. But no part numbers. :D

It may be folly, but if they are still available that would be great. All I need is a part number... otherwise the people behind the counter will wonder what kind of a rock I crawled out from... what decade I'm stuck in... trying to tell them about some part for some car that they have no memory of... but chances are the same screw is used somewhere else on their shiny new 2021 Subaru Space Shuttle... at least it is in comparison to our old relics...

Its a '85 Brat GL. Tailgate Stay hardware. Should be 8 of those cap screws that hold the stays.

Edited by 6 Star
Added model and year

Wish this board had a photo reduction gizmo so I could easily post a pic. But enough crying here we go ...

0411 06160 is the p/n for the screw which a quantity of 8 are required and showing as being used in the tailgate hinge. Also requires 8 lock washers with them. Washer p/n 0340 06000.

• Like 1

Thanks moosens.

Thinking back, these screws that I ordered previously for the Brat, they came with the "star" variety of lock washer. Probably the only type of lock washer that would work with the chamfer.

Let's see if Subaru can still provide for us here...

• Like 1

Screws came in...

The threaded section of the screw is about .5" long, and under 1/8" wide.

The cap of the screw is 1/8" deep, and .5" wide at the top.

The Phillips head pattern is of the slightly larger variety. Larger than a #2 but not the giant Phillips...

Off the top of my head, remember that Subaru likes to use 1.25 thread pitch on their fine-threaded stuff like this. Not sure what the other metric dimension is... something like M10 but that would be larger width... hopefully someone better versed in the metric bolt sizes chimes in.