Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I thought I'd post this in the Off Topic forum - but it does have to do with Subarus. I'll certainly understand if it gets moved. Looking at various online used car websites I came across Carfax. Looked at a few 2009-2010 Foresters and the Carfax report. Only one reported a head gasket replacement - but none reported timing belt replacements on vehicles well past the 105k mile interval. The dealership from the car I have now brought up the Carfax report before I bought it. He seemed honest, noted an accident but no record of a timing belt replacement (non Subaru, should be every 60k miles). I have about 177k now, so I do suspect it was done.

Same for the Foresters and EJ25 Outbacks I looked at on the Carfax site. A car dealership manager that's my customer said even if a dealership does a timing belt change, the record may not necessarily be entered in the report. I wonder then if the value of a Carfax report is worth the cost. Probably better than that is documented records and receipts of what's been done.

they can only show stuff that actually gets reported.

owner goes to a small independent shop instead of the dealer for routine work (or does it themselves), chances are said work will not be reported, therefore, no record.

routine maintenance is not what I would necessarily be looking for on a carfax anyway. They are more useful for accident info, flood damage, that sort of thing.

• Like 3

Carfax is an excellent tool.

primary value is *not* maintenance records, but rather - wrecks, police reports, fraudulent activities, stolen, damage, etc. 

It doesn’t catch all of those, but far higher percent than maintenance records. And many times those situations have legal or financial requirements to be reported.

Maintenance records have zero requirements, or even benefit, (it would mean more work and cost to a shop who wants to start reporting), to be recorded. So it’s obvious why records would be less consistent and they shouldn’t be an expectation  

If it tells you maintenance then you get a lucky bonus, that’s all. I never expect maintenance notes but am delighted if they show up. 

for maintenance records:

1. Call any shop listed on maintenance records that are available and ask if they have more information. Just because 4 repairs are listed from DooDads garage - doesnt mean they listed every procedure they did on the car or that those listed were complete.

2. Search for stickers under hood, look in owners manual or spare trunk area, for any indication where it was taken and call and ask. 

3.  And here’s a good one for cars with no records - Find the areas it was previously registered on car fax. Google all the Subaru dealers or independents in those cities.  Call all the ones within 40 miles (I’m making up a number, depends on area, etc - you get the point).  I’ve had Subaru dealers print me pages of maintenance lists (unexpectedly kind). 

carfax is a good tool but don’t expect it to do too much.  

A few I looked at did have accident reports, like the car I have now, Good to know, but I guess more research is in order such as clues and going from there. I keep a record of everything done to my vehicles, including what I do (although that's nothing major). 

I wish they did report more major repairs/ maintenance, but it's rare for Carfax. I've ended up doing the timing belts as soon as I buy a car to make sure. I actually just ran CARFX on a couple of our used car acquistions where i hadn't before. Found out our 2003 Forester had been in a minor accident in 2014 but you can't tell from looking at or driving it.

8 hours ago, Stevo F said:

I wish they did report more major repairs/ maintenance, but it's rare for Carfax. I've ended up doing the timing belts as soon as I buy a car to make sure. I actually just ran CARFX on a couple of our used car acquistions where i hadn't before. Found out our 2003 Forester had been in a minor accident in 2014 but you can't tell from looking at or driving it.

I always redo timing gear even if it has a new Subaru belt. I’m not leaving idlers, tensioner, or water pump on a newer Subaru.

It seems more common now for cars to have accident history’s. I’m guessing people are less DIY (call insurance rather than buy a used fender), distracted cell phone mishaps, large global population shift to urban areas (up until last year anyway), greed (how can I get insurance to pay for this), and of course reporting is probably more consistent, etc. But I did make that all up. I haven’t read or seen anything documenting that’s true. just a wild guess on little observation.

If it has an accident reprinted I can then find out what damage was incurred, where to look (or call) and inspect that repair myself. 

Edited by idosubaru

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 10:36 PM, Stevo F said:

The 2010 Legacy we just bought was supposedly in two accidents but there is absolutely zero indication of that. One of the accidents was minor the other one was supposedly moderate with airbag deployment but having done lots of body work and been working on cars for 40+ years I would beg to differ.

I guess it's possible if it went to a triple five star Body Shop that is accustomed to doing work on vehicles that are ending up at Mecum Auto Auctions. But I don't think the reports are accurate.

52 minutes ago, billrigsby said:

The 2010 Legacy we just bought was supposedly in two accidents but there is absolutely zero indication of that. One of the accidents was minor the other one was supposedly moderate with airbag deployment but having done lots of body work and been working on cars for 40+ years I would beg to differ.

Airbags suggests you’ll be able to tell, but sometimes they go off on surprisingly light  incidents. If it’s all bolt on stuff it’s easily done without noticing anything.

On 3/31/2021 at 12:36 AM, Stevo F said:

Carfax only reports whats entered in the databases. If its not entered they have no way of knowing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...