Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm reassembling this thing, and just noticed that the washers on two of the eight long block bolts are smaller than the other six.  I didn't note where those bolts were when I pulled it apart.

Does it matter where they go?  The FSM doesn't indicate anything, and these don't appear to be like the head bolts (where a few of the washers have to be smaller in order to seat down in the casting).  In this case, the larger washers seem to fit in all of the bolt positions.  Wtf?

Ah, thanks - that solved it.  I had to stare at the drawing for a while, but the six with the thick washers are the ones inside the block proper, in the coolant passages.

The thin washers are used on the two short bolts up front between the oil and water pumps, and on the two rearmost long bolts on the outside of the block.

5 minutes ago, jonathan909 said:

Ah, thanks - that solved it.  I had to stare at the drawing for a while, but the six with the thick washers are the ones inside the block proper, in the coolant passages.

The thin washers are used on the two short bolts up front between the oil and water pumps, and on the two rearmost long bolts on the outside of the block.

Same here. It wasn’t what I was expecting. 

Oh... yeah... right... duh.  I don't know about all-y'all, but I'm kind of a slow learner, I don't do this often enough, and this is one of those little details I have to re-learn every time.

The thick washers are the ones with the rubber seal molded into the ID, which is kind of obvious for bolts whose heads are immersed.

3 hours ago, jonathan909 said:

Oh... yeah... right... duh.  I don't know about all-y'all, but I'm kind of a slow learner, I don't do this often enough, and this is one of those little details I have to re-learn every time.

The thick washers are the ones with the rubber seal molded into the ID, which is kind of obvious for bolts whose heads are immersed.

Normal. I rarely pull apart blocks and trans, and the FSM is out for anything headgaskets or worse.