Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 gl10 ea82t engine popin, hesitating and low power.

Hi all, with everyones help and ideas i got.to test drive today. However, she is cranky. I cant go over 3200 rpms in first gear, some back firing, and can get to 2nd gear. Flooring the gas pedal while in gear it wants to fall on its face.

Super Dave sent a great link on theses cars. I got some reading to do but any ideas?

5 hours ago, Creelux said:

some back firing

If your engine is not running properly and you want to fix it then you first must get some diagnostic information and make some physical checks.

One of the best things you can do, which is fast and easy, is run a vacuum test on the engine.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

Also, when was the last time it had a tune up ? Check the plugs, check the distributor cap, check the timing, check the air filter and fuel filter.

More comprehensive would be to check the engine compression and do a fuel system pressure check.

• Like 1

I changed everything prior to first ignition. New cap, rotor. Plugs, wires, coil, fuel, filter, air filter, fuel pump, vacuum lines,( i broke the thermo vac valve, but plugged the kines) new battery, tires and brakes.it doed run best when its cold. After warmed up "rusty: changes to being rough.  I did notice the air box assembly hase hose issues. Need to mention it smells like its running rich, do you think the turbo is not functioning right

Not sure where that is at?  The air box? Or the part that says turbo on top of the engine?

Edited by Creelux

3 hours ago, Creelux said:

I changed everything prior to first ignition. New cap, rotor. Plugs, wires, coil, fuel, filter, air filter, fuel pump, vacuum lines,( i broke the thermo vac valve, but plugged the kines) new battery, tires and brakes.it doed run best when its cold. After warmed up "rusty: changes to being rough.  I did notice the air box assembly hase hose issues. Need to mention it smells like its running rich, do you think the turbo is not functioning right

Not sure where that is at?  The air box? Or the part that says turbo on top of the engine?

Replacing all those items means you won't need to do all the physical checks.  Focus on getting the diagnostics and repair things that were broken.

Ok, im going to try and figure this out.  I do know when its cold it runs well. Does anyone know if the ea82t is equipped with an idle air control valve?? If so location on engine. I read this could lend itself to my symptoms the car is having?

• 2 months later...

A bad exhaust gas temperature sensor will cause all of your bad engine problems, which you do not appear to have changed.  About $20.  It screws into the side of your catalytic converter coming out of your turbo.

Edited by scoobydube