Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Saw a few posts on the Foz site about similar issue but not here.

My 08 Outback started suffering the wonky rear handle at the hatch where it wouldn't spring back once opened.

Started squirting lithium grease at the side pivot points but then looked a little closer and noted the spring mechanism above the handle. Spraying the grease up there did the trick.

I have attached a pic of mine all gooped up but another pic of someone not as lazy as myself who decided to disassemble the rear gate showing the spring mechanism.

subaru handle.jpg

20210405_165449.jpg

Edited by brus brother

Looks like the same handle used for decades now. $24 shipped to your door.

Being a wagon fan I’ve replaced several. I even have one in stock. That handle if it is the same began its run on the GL/DL/ Loyale series. 

Pardon my eyes if I’m not seeing that as it may be. 

Edited by moosens
  • Like 2

I, too, have replaced several.

My '04 35th ann Outback was seized solid. I messed with it for awhile, swapped the handle for one from a parts car, and there was no change. After playing with the linkages for a bit, it turned out to be a seized lock cylinder not fully returning to the "open" position.

4 hours ago, brus brother said:

didn't have a new one on hand

had lithium spray grease on hand

took the easy way out

Easy way out is ordering it on line. The lithium grease bought you time, thats all (been there done that)