Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Drive Axles and Rotors

2 hours ago, subaru1988 said:

Since people in the know really talk up old Subaru axles, what about reman'd OEM axles? Are they also worth regreasing and rebooting like OEM axles if it's a proven good unit? Both of my axles make a little noise and the boots are torn, and according to what I've read on here, one of them is a reman Subaru piece because it has the green outer "housing" on the tranny side. Both of my axles are NOT the originals, but they've lasted 100K+ miles.

First thing I'm going to do is the grease needle trick on one of them to get my by for awhile, but if I could get away with just rebooting and repacking at least one of them, that would be great

100% success rate repacking OEM and MWE (old school Subaru axle guy no longer building axles) axles with noise and vibration.  Clean well regrease and done.

be discerning - if they’ve seen gravel sand aggregate that takes them out quick.  I drove some in south GA Pecan farm country and that sand devoured axles quickly. Obviously it’s sand. I was sand blasting them. 

Packing slings out quick on a broken boot but is a nice proof of concept if you’re not sure it’s worth your time.  They’ll clear up quick just packing them 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, idosubaru said:

Hahahhahaaa. Keep in mind I agree with you Suabrus arent some super hero car. They have a good fit for plenty of people like any other car  

but - You talk about beating the ever loving $&!& out of your axles - you can’t get any axle to work, every axles available you blow up, those of us driving 250k in old Subarus on original axles tell you to get OEM and you complain you blow them up in a year.

So your 70s VW and friends old cars are being off road, have 30” tires, and seeing gobs of snow and salt all winter as you trash their axles too? How many miles are they driven?  

And how are you comparing them to those of us driving perfectly usable old gen Subarus every day probably more miles than all that impractical useless 70s stuff.

I towed a loaded 6x12 trailer, nonworking 4 wheeler (don’t ask, it was for a friend), 4 people and hundreds of pounds of gear 2,000 miles up to 10,000 feet elk hunting with my old gen Subaru and drove it home full of elk meat I packed out with my own legs.  70s stuff = impractical novelty unless it’s a truck to me.  Laughable useless cars  

toss some data up - of these cars and their mileages.   not saying Subarus are some epitome of anything. They’d ARE NOT. I agree with you. They’re all just metal, who cares how long they last - just get what’s a good fit for your uses. But let’s at least talk data, miles, and apples to apples comparison.

my lifted imp has 290k on the clock it still has 3 of the 4 factory original cv axles but thats a differnt rig the ea82m 2 door panel wagon with 5" lift and 30s is a diferent animal if your geting 250k on a set of loyale axles more power to ya but theres no way your wheeling it or atleast not like i do and im positive your ea82 dosent have neer the power mine did the original motor sucks compared to the ea82m

i realy enjoy cars from the 60s and 70s and those old rigs were built to last ive never seen any new car use 1/2 gallon of gas in 50 miles at almost 100 mph the whole way the or a car that got 60+ mpg and was a blast to drive like my baja bug and theres nothing like driving a scout its like riding a harley just a completely unique exsperiance also driving a vw bus just unique vehicle to drive and besides my old 70s rigs have already outlasted yours and my subarus and i can still get parts for all of them unlike the loyale 

check out some of my build threads you have to go back maybe 10 years though to find all of them but my loyale has a large build thread it has axle carnage pics some off road pics 

also im starting a new off road subaru build well restarting a old build in the off road section if your interested

whats a ea82m you ask the m is for mongral its the high compresion version the block is about a half inch shorter overall and has  to have manifold adaptors to fit the intake manifold mine has a heavily modified intake manifold also feading the ported and polished heads dumping in to a worked over factory exhaust manifold and custom cat back exhaust its a shame the lower end took a dump after only 20k though

i love my old loyale but im moving on to bigger stronger rigs not that im giving up on the old girl not yet anyway i might rebuild the ea82m but shaving the block is a pain in the back seat and it dose ok with the og motor i guess its just hard to go back after having all that grunt

Edited by ferp420

from what I have read, and been told independently, most remanufactured axles have had grinding done to wear surfaces to remove pits, galling,irregularities, etc.. That grinding reduces or removes the case hardening . Then, they have cheap, oversize bearings put in, cheap grease applied, then, usually a cheap boot put on. Could they last? maybe, but they are risky.

8 hours ago, ferp420 said:

but theres no way your wheeling it or atleast not like i do and im positive your ea82 dosent have neer the power mine did the original motor sucks compared to the ea82m

That's my point - are those 70's and 50's cars driven like that? 

You are not wheeling those cars like you and I drive Subaru's. I wasn't comparing how I drive my Subaru to how you drive your Subaru. I'm comparing how we drive our Subaru's to how those old cars are used.   Not even remotely the same.  It's so obvious I think you're missing the point. 

Again - I agree, old cars have a grand place in American culture, they're good solid, simple rides, and Subaru's are what they are, not special...but every other cars is the same.  

Older cars have very different social and economic factors that keep them around and make it viable to produce parts for them - down to generational characteristics of who owned them, when they retired, fewer makes/cars, social and economic shifts through the 70's, 80's, 90's.  "Longevity" is only very marginally related to them having antiquated carburetors (no wires/sensors) and simple suspension...which is often modified to modern suspension because of their inherent weaknesses.  So for some of these parts - parts suppliers are making parts to over come weaknesses, not support infinitely viable original designs.

8 hours ago, ferp420 said:

and im positive your ea82 dosent have neer the power mine did the original motor sucks compared to the ea82m

I wasn't comparing our cars - I was comparing how you and I drive our subarus to your 70's and 50's examples.  Your EA82 makes more power than my 6 cylinder old gen.  That's impressive.  I'm not sure I'd trust an EA82 to drive 4,000 miles towing 2,500 pounds (minimum, probably 3,000) up colorado Rocky mountain passes and up mountain trails to 10,000 feet.  My 6 cylinder ran a little hot up those Colorado grades, I don't think an EA82 would have a chance of doing that or it would have taken 10 extra hours.

]

14 hours ago, idosubaru said:

That's my point - are those 70's and 50's cars driven like that? 

You are not wheeling those cars like you and I drive Subaru's. I wasn't comparing how I drive my Subaru to how you drive your Subaru. I'm comparing how we drive our Subaru's to how those old cars are used.   Not even remotely the same.  It's so obvious I think you're missing the point. 

Again - I agree, old cars have a grand place in American culture, they're good solid, simple rides, and Subaru's are what they are, not special...but every other cars is the same.  

Older cars have very different social and economic factors that keep them around and make it viable to produce parts for them - down to generational characteristics of who owned them, when they retired, fewer makes/cars, social and economic shifts through the 70's, 80's, 90's.  "Longevity" is only very marginally related to them having antiquated carburetors (no wires/sensors) and simple suspension...which is often modified to modern suspension because of their inherent weaknesses.  So for some of these parts - parts suppliers are making parts to over come weaknesses, not support infinitely viable original designs.

I wasn't comparing our cars - I was comparing how you and I drive our subarus to your 70's and 50's examples.  Your EA82 makes more power than my 6 cylinder old gen.  That's impressive.  I'm not sure I'd trust an EA82 to drive 4,000 miles towing 2,500 pounds (minimum, probably 3,000) up colorado Rocky mountain passes and up mountain trails to 10,000 feet.  My 6 cylinder ran a little hot up those Colorado grades, I don't think an EA82 would have a chance of doing that or it would have taken 10 extra hours.

you asked how im distroying axles so i told you

you asked what old car was built to last i gave several exsample

the driving your talking about is normal driving nothing special but you think it is and thats ok

something else i dident mention is im in california the land of old cars there all over the road so its comin to see people comuting and working in and from old clasics just cause you dont know how to work on them dosent mean they cant be tuned by someone who dose know they can be vary efficent and dont need alot of tinkering the lack of sensors and fuel injection is alot of the draw to older cars theres less to fail and if maintained right last for ever

9 hours ago, ferp420 said:

you asked how im distroying axles so i told you

No I didn’t. your axles were an example.  Old cars aren’t driven like an off road modified Subaru.  

here’s the question: Are those old cars driven HARD off road?  Are they lifted with welded diffs, trouncing through mud and snow and getting winched out when stuck, and towing thousands of pounds?

The answer is - No, those old cars are cute relics than can’t do jack !&@‘l off road.

Again I do agree with you. Subarus aren’t special. But neither are old cars unless you like craptastic carburetors and suspension which have usually been reworked, rebuilt or replaced by now.  But it’s just not an apples to apples comparison. 

Edited by idosubaru

2 hours ago, idosubaru said:

No I didn’t. your axles were an example.  Old cars aren’t driven like an off road modified Subaru.  

here’s the question: Are those old cars driven HARD off road?  Are they lifted with welded diffs, trouncing through mud and snow and getting winched out when stuck, and towing thousands of pounds?

The answer is - No, those old cars are cute relics than can’t do jack !&@‘l off road.

the answer is yes but for some reason you think your special

your ignorance on carbarators and suspention is understandable but that dosent mean your right in anyway carbs run good and suspention wasent invented in the 80s your just ignorant there and thats ok too

sure we have refined things a bit but some of us still enjoy ruffing it some ie no cup holders 

apples to apple the only other 4wd unibody stationwagons i can think of would be the amc eagle wagon awd 30" tires stock and the other would be jeep cherokee 30" tires stock and awd with no low range when they first came out both would outdo our subarus in stock form in almost every condition so those would be your apples how do you like them do you need a spoon full of suger to swallow that its a big bite but there it is  

honda made one too a civic wagon with awd

vw made the golf awd more of a hatch than a wagon though but did have a wagon model too 

audi made one too back in the 80s but that was based off of the vw so it only kinda counts

toyota had a awd wagon too 

the honda audi and toyotas were more car like though and werent marketed the same as the jeep or eagle or the subaru

not trying to take away from subarus in anyway just saying there in the middle of the feild and other rigs outhere do just as much if not more

its a real shame subaru went the more car like route but thats what snowflakes want these days and there in the buisness of making money so thats how it goes 

snowflake "we need more cup holders "

engineere "were can we fit more cupholders"

thats about it

On 4/25/2021 at 1:59 PM, idosubaru said:

but - You talk about beating the ever loving $&!& out of your axles - you can’t get any axle to work, every axles available you blow up, those of us driving 250k in old Subarus on original axles tell you to get OEM and you complain you blow them up in a year.

my loyale is bigger and gets wheeled alot harder and has way more torque than yours doses thats why i blow axles so often and i wish they lasted a year usualy only 1 or 2 trips one of the reasons i dont use that rig much anymore and am building a new one 

On 4/24/2021 at 9:10 AM, idosubaru said:

True - these aren’t some special units of supreme longevity....but What cars ever were that were high volume production vehicles? 

again the vw beetle for one exsample and just to exspand on this point they still race stock bugs in the baja 1000 they even races at king of the hammers this year have there own score class 1100 and then there tha baja bug a hole nother world also have there multiple score classes to race in  so a 60s era bug has already outlasted your subarus while racing there entire life

On 4/25/2021 at 1:59 PM, idosubaru said:

I towed a loaded 6x12 trailer, nonworking 4 wheeler (don’t ask, it was for a friend), 4 people and hundreds of pounds of gear 2,000 miles up to 10,000 feet elk hunting with my old gen Subaru and drove it home full of elk meat I packed out with my own legs.  70s stuff = impractical novelty unless it’s a truck to me.  Laughable useless cars  

i towed a 3k construction trailer all over the city streets of san fransico for years with my bus and a camping trailer though out the sierras 10000 ft is a short haul in my book sometimes in the snow  and with manual breaks it dose have a automatic trans so that helps alot when towing

41 minutes ago, ferp420 said:

apples to apple the only other 4wd unibody stationwagons 

We keep talking about different things, but basically agree.  this is almost entirely mis-communication.  Yes, 70's cars and old VW's are sweet rides and superior to Subaru's in many ways.  But that's not what I'm talking about.  I'm not denying that - I'm just not talking about it. 

Apples to apples comparison of *how they're used* and driven.   Everything I've said is about that one point - "70's VW cars and muscle cars are not driven off road, burried in mud and snow".  That's not an apples to apples comparison with how you drive your car.   For instance, those 70's VW's and 70's cars aren't driven like this:

10 minutes ago, ferp420 said:

my loyale is bigger and gets wheeled alot harder and has way more torque than yours doses thats why i blow axles so often and i wish they lasted a year usualy only 1 or 2 trips one of the reasons i dont use that rig much anymore and am building a new one 

They're great cars - I think the only disagreement we have is that you think there's a design reason they're better and I agree with that, but I think the design difference is small.   I think most of the longevity difference is economic and social. 

They have a lack of electronics.  That's a specific design element that makes them better in some ways.  

To me - the enormous parts supply is just because of the volume, economics, and social driven realities.  The parts suppliers didn't make parts for them because they're reliable - they did it because there's money in it. 

1 minute ago, ferp420 said:

i towed a 3k construction trailer all over the city streets of san fransico for years with my bus and a camping trailer though out the sierras 10000 ft is a short haul in my book sometimes in the snow  and with manual breaks it dose have a automatic trans so that helps alot when towing

yes - trucks and buses are different. I wouldn't compare cars to trucks or buses or vans.  True.  And I agree I wish Subaru would have trended in a way different than the market driven cup holder loving aesthetic addicted...but I guess I'm not surprised either. 

we do agree subarus are awsome and completly disagree of 70s and older cars maybe cause i grew up in those cars when they were new and own several myself and live in a area were old cars are normal

one of my first jobs in the auto world was for master rebuilders we sold remaunfactured parts to pepboys i spent months doing nothing but rebuilding axles so you can bet if theres a way to reuse a axle ill figure it out i had 3 parts loyales and pulled all the og axles i could find from the junkyards before the loyals dryed up and i have distroyed every axle ive put on the car factory or aftermarket 

i also redo every axle i put on the car there not wering out they have good boots and good greese and ive done more than a few in my day

on a stock loyale under normal conditions i could see getting some good miles on the new axles but if your having issues with axles already and are looking for something stronger there arent any good options anymore and we are lucky to have what we do with the parts being discontinued or cheap copys its getting harder to keep these rigs on the road a sure sign of a throw away car they werent saposed to last this long

2 hours ago, ferp420 said:

we do agree subarus are awsome and completly disagree of 70s and older cars 

I also agree that old stuff is cool and easy to keep around.  I just don’t think it’s because of any inherent design from the original factory except some help due to less electronics. But why doesn’t matter anyway. Own all of them!  That’s the way! Beat up the Subarus and show off those GTOs!