Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strut Top Issue

So doing my front struts, and both of the new strut tops are seperated. The top of the mount is not attached to the rubber.  Can't get replacements until next week. I'd hate to reassemble with the old tops, only to pull it back apart.

Thinking of just smearing some windshield weld in there, think that will attach them?

weld some metal spokes just to get them driveable.

I’ve seen new aftermarket strut tops fail in less than a week - strut rod straight through the strut mount  until it bottoms out on rear unibody. I wouldn’t do it. 

all that being said - how badly did it drive before you pulled them and how much/type driving do you need from it?   Maybe some of that bushing material they use to repack rear diff bushings would work (assuming it’s window weld?). 

what I do living in a rural area now differs from what is do when I commuted in DC for work. 

14 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

weld some metal spokes just to get them driveable.

I’ve seen new aftermarket strut tops fail in less than a week - strut rod straight through the strut mount  until it bottoms out on rear unibody. I wouldn’t do it. 

all that being said - how badly did it drive before you pulled them and how much/type driving do you need from it?   Maybe some of that bushing material they use to repack rear diff bushings would work (assuming it’s window weld?). 

what I do living in a rural area now differs from what is do when I commuted in DC for work. 

Talking about the front strut mounts. They were like that in the box. Looks like they didnt get a good bond when they were made.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Ionstorm66 said:

Talking about the front strut mounts. They were like that in the box. Looks like they didnt get a good bond when they were made.

Were they aftermarket?  I’ve seen horrible after market mounts and struts but that might take the cake !

Can you reuse the originals rather than repair these?

Can you weld them - just need a couple bicycle spokes.  Then fill with window weld. That might be what I’d do for such a short turn around. 

Just now, idosubaru said:

Were they aftermarket?  I’ve seen horrible after market mounts and struts but that might take the cake !

Can you reuse the originals rather than repair these?

Can you weld them - just need a couple bicycle spokes.  Then fill with window weld. That might be what I’d do for such a short turn around. 

The stock ones and the aftermarket ones have not metal in them. It's just rubber, which is why I am trying the window weld.