Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If you are buying other stuff, a 'trick' at RA to save on shipping is to choose stuff (hoses, clamps, radiator cap or thermostat, etc.)  that all comes from the same warehouse.

As for Amazon, I have had good luck with car parts from there.

It's good that you are being careful and asking questions because it is very disheartening to deal with 'mailorder' returns.

I sometimes don't mind paying some extra for a local biz to get my money. They often give better advice, will pull parts for you to measure/compare with at the counter, can often order the same stuff as an online store and sometimes match prices if you ask.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

That is, if the trick works.  With my last order I couldn't avoid it being broken into three shipments, two from Rock and one shipped directly from Enginetech.  Still, even with all that shipping factored in, it totaled a fraction of what I would have paid here.

And don't dismiss the wreckers - you can get an awful lot of perfectly serviceable stuff for next to nothing that might be cost-prohibitive new.

I'm partial to the self-serve yards, as we have three in the city, two of them pick+pull.  They're based in CA, but it looks like you're a couple of hours from their nearest location (near Salinas).

9 hours ago, jonathan909 said:

But again, I challenge you to pose a question they're capable of answering.

When you look at their prices you'll understand why they're a zero-service company - they exist to move product at volume at the lowest possible price, and that's all.  I'm not dissing them at all - they're my first stop for most parts.  There are exceptions, one being specific components (e.g. the timing parts often discussed here) where you need to be picky about manufacturer for reasons of quality; another being that there are cases (e.g. brake rotors) in which the weight causes shipping cost to negate the savings over local purchase.  Otherwise, fill your boots.

I suppose if you know exactly what you want, you can find a bargain. I won't write them off completely just yet. :)

Thanks for your reply.

I have an off topic question to begin with, is there a way to get e-mail notification when someone replies to my topic?  I haven't posted to this forum since last year and I thought I used to receive an e-mail any time someone would reply.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I finally made the decision to buy an OEM Subaru radiator, about $275 including tax and shipping from an online Subaru parts place. I didn't feel like worrying whether or not all the holes would line up and if it would be a quality product. It should arrive next week.

Thanks for all the RockAuto ordering tips. I can't wait to join in on the fun the next time I need parts. :)

Thanks for your replies.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lmdew said:

Make sure you burp the system when you fill it!

Subaru engines like to lock in air bubbles.

I am well aware of the burp issues especially with my model having the thermostat mounted directly underneath the water pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTDDpUzL9XA

By the way, will this Peak coolant be OK to use? https://peakauto.com/products/antifreeze-coolants/automotive/oet-asian-vehicles-extended-life-green/

Thanks for your reply.

unless the owners manual specifically calls for one of the oddly colored specialty coolants, then yes, the green stuff will be fine.. brand does not really matter.

if not premixed 50/50, you will want to do that with a demineralized water (distilled). i like to buy the premixed stuff - a lot less hassle, just open and pour.

as for getting notified, there is a little thing at the bottom of the typing box... turn it on..

image.png.ebbfa6d722c31d7de27b529917c57a2d.png

pretty sure there are settings in your user profile area as well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, heartless said:

if not premixed 50/50, you will want to do that with a demineralized water (distilled). i like to buy the premixed stuff - a lot less hassle, just open and pour.

The reason I like the concentrated stuff is that it's only about 15% more expensive and  you get 100% more coolant. :)

5 hours ago, heartless said:

as for getting notified, there is a little thing at the bottom of the typing box... turn it on.. 

I do have the, Notify me of replies enabled. The wording in my profile doesn't expressly say, "Send me an e-mail when I receive a reply," it says, " A notification when new content is posted." I do get popup notifications through this forum but I do not receive an e-mail. My other choice in my notification settings is to select, "One email per day with all new content from that day". Is that the extent of my e-mail choices? In other words, is there a way to receive an e-mail after every post?

Thanks for your reply.

ok, so apparently they have made changes to all that.. and honestly, one email a day is still plenty for me.. LOL

i only have the popup notifications turned on myself for when i am on the site. I get enough email, i dont want, or need anymore.