Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quad Headlights > Single Headlights with Cyclops

Anybody have any experience converting the EA81 Quad Headlight setup over to the EA81 Single Headlights with Cyclops?
Or know of a writeup?

Believe that I have everything needed:
Single Headlight Core Support
Single Headlight Buckets/Bulbs
Single Headlight Bezels with Turn Signals and Pigtails
Third Eye (Cyclops) Full Assembly with Pigtail
Third Eye Grill
Relays that sit on the passenger side (RH) strut tower
Third Eye Switch from factory that's used with the HighBeams on.

Part that's confusing me is how the wiring goes from twin lights, one for low and one for high beam, to single units that do both functions.
Guessing that the turn signal wiring that goes to the front bumper will have to be rerouted so they will go to the corner flashers of the Single Headlight Style.
And then there is adding the Third Eye to the equation...

The easiest method in my head;
Take the entire front harness from an '82.
Place that harness in the body of the '86. (thats the year of the EA81 chassis its going into.)
Not sure if the connectors between those years are the same or if they were changed?

I have an '82 that is badly rusted and is more like a donor vehicle.
Ideally would take the cyclops light setup from it and put it on the '86 which is still structurally sound.

If the pinouts are different you can take the extra connectors from the harnesses you are using and make an adapter without having to modify the ones you're using.

Take the light side from the 86 and body aide from the donor. Make any wiring change you need between the two, and connect it in the middle.

4 hours ago, Ionstorm66 said:

If the pinouts are different you can take the extra connectors from the harnesses you are using and make an adapter without having to modify the ones you're using.

Take the light side from the 86 and body aide from the donor. Make any wiring change you need between the two, and connect it in the middle.

Makes Sense... Will have to look at some wiring diagrams, and just look at the two vehicle's setups side by side.
For this purely aesthetic mod, it will have to be off in the future when more important tasks have been completed.
However it is nice to get the thought-train going on these fun projects. 

Single headlight will just plug into the outer light of the quads that seals with hi and low beam. Parkers and indicators should be the same wiring, not hard to swap a plug if you need to but I reckon you’d be able to just move the light fitting between the two units and use what you already have in there. 

As for the cyclops light. Probably easier to run a separate loom over the factory stuff in the recipient vehicle. 

Cheers 

Bennie

On 4/19/2021 at 6:04 AM, el_freddo said:

Single headlight will just plug into the outer light of the quads that seals with hi and low beam. Parkers and indicators should be the same wiring, not hard to swap a plug if you need to but I reckon you’d be able to just move the light fitting between the two units and use what you already have in there. 

As for the cyclops light. Probably easier to run a separate loom over the factory stuff in the recipient vehicle. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Ah yes, the outer lights on the quads stay ON when the Highs are on. That would be great to just plug and play...

Running a separate loom would work...

Thought-Train is building steam...

Off topic, but on the theme of Parkers and Indicators being interchangeable, the EA82s are able to do this...

One could take the side Parker's harness and run it down to the Turns in the Bumper. And the Turn's harness up to the Parkers.

On the US face-lifted EA82s, for some reason, the designers decided to hide the front turn signals way inside some kind of cave. Pre-facelift EA82s had the signals flush, just like JDM and elsewhere. These "cave" turn signals are not visible unless seen from some distance in front of the car.

Switching the parkers and indicators on the face-lifted EA82s makes it so more people can see the indicator, even from the side. And then the signals in the bumper can act as fogs or parking lights.

Funny story; When my brother went to take his driver's test, he used a Loyale. (Facelifted EA82)

When the instructor was standing in front of the car, doing their checks, he said, "Turn signal Left, Right... OK thats a fail... come back when you have turn signals..."

Had to tell the guy to do the Limbo so he could see they indeed worked...