Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82 rear subframe bushings

Is there anything I can use to replace the bushings on the rear subframe? I replaced all the control arm and diff bushings. The ones on the subframe are shot, and the subframe just sits on the body It lifts off the body over a half inch of I jack the car up, which means it's moving around while driving.

You talkin' 'bout the Mustache Bar or the Torsion Bar?

Have seen the Mustache Bar Bushings repaired/replaced with re-purposed strips of thick rubber, with a hole cut through the middle of them. 

Edit: ...there isn't a torsion bar in EA82s, D'oh...
You're talking about part # 9, rear trailing arm?

https://www.subaruparts.com/v-1992-subaru-loyale--base--1-8l-h4-gas/rear-suspension--rear-suspension

Rear Suspension for 1992 Subaru Loyale #0

Edited by 6 Star

59 minutes ago, 6 Star said:

You talkin' 'bout the Mustache Bar or the Torsion Bar?

Have seen the Mustache Bar Bushings repaired/replaced with re-purposed strips of thick rubber, with a hole cut through the middle of them. 

Edit: ...there isn't a torsion bar in EA82s, D'oh...
You're talking about part # 9, rear trailing arm?

https://www.subaruparts.com/v-1992-subaru-loyale--base--1-8l-h4-gas/rear-suspension--rear-suspension

Rear Suspension for 1992 Subaru Loyale #0

Part 10 is the rear subframe/trailing arm mount. I know the round hole in the front has a rubber bushing like the mustache bar/diff brace.

Maybe ea81s are different, but there is no way to use a strip of rubber to replace the bushings on a ea82 mustache bar. That are a pretty standard shaped bushing. Round bush with flared ends.

Further down on this page

Shows another diagram for rear suspension.

Rear Suspension for 1992 Subaru Loyale #2

Part #3, Trailing Arm Bushing is still available.

Part #7, Crossmember Assembly Bushing is discontinued.

The strip of rubber I mentioned earlier only acts to fill the gap left by deteriorated or squished bushings on the Mustache bar. Usually one on top and/or bottom to act like a sandwich.

But you are not dealing with the mustache bar...

Edited by 6 Star
added photo

6 hours ago, carfreak85 said:

I'm still not clear what bushing we're discussion here...

They hold the rear subframe/crossmember to the car. Part #7 in the diagram. It's under the car, right at the start of the rear wheel arch, in front of where the trailing arm mounts.

10 hours ago, ferp420 said:

you could probably get a 10 pack on ebay for $3 if you use the tape mesure to get your specs

and there better than the stock ones by a long shot 

They are ~26mm diameter, 32mm long, with flat faces that I can't measure because they are gone. 12mm bore. No luck finding them. I need to pull a spare frame and press out old bushings so I can get a better measurement.

so order 26mm x 32mm bushing drill the center out and grind in your flatspotz its not science its fabrication

26mm=1" lots of 1 inch bushings on ebay im seeing alot of 14mm holes you can sleave the bolt with steel pipe if you feel you need to

Edited by ferp420