Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tensioner pulley bolt broken on a 1996 2.2 engine.

I need to know if a 1992 tensioner pulley bracket will fit my 1996 2.2 engine. The bolt is broken off in the bracket on my 96 from a heli coil repair I did a couple years ago. Apparently I didn't drill it  "perfectly straight on" for the heli coil, and the slight misalignment and vibration finally snapped the bolt. duh?

Only issue is you need to match the mount plate with the tensioner it comes with. If your EJ22 has the old separate piston design, that will be a direct swap. 

If your EJ22 has the tensioner arm with the piston and idler build in, then you’ll probably have to chase up the older style tensioner. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Yes it has the old style separate piston and I'm fairly confident  it is still a non-interference 2.2 ? I never got any history on it from the yuppie couple who sold it to me back in 2012. Only 316K on it now.  Still driving with torque bind too.  quack.

I got the exact replacement bracket now. Fed-X delivered it today. That didn't take long at all. Now I just need to track down 14mm bolt for the tensioner pulley. Not looking forward to scouring the junkyards, but I must admit I kind of enjoy it . :)

16 hours ago, darsdoug said:

Now I just need to track down 14mm bolt for the tensioner pulley. Not looking forward to scouring the junkyards, but I must admit I kind of enjoy it . :)

Fwiw... when I hit the self-serve yards I carry a big open-top tool satchel.  Every nut, bolt, and other fastener that I remove in the course of getting to the part I want just habitually gets pitched into it - other small bits like fuses as well.  They don't (try to) charge for that stuff - it wouldn't be worth their time grubbing around in a customer's tools over such little weight.  Over time I've accumulated buckets of spare hardware exactly for occasions like this.