Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OEM 6cd changer fit in a 1995 Legacy?

Hi Suba-Gurus! I have a 1995 Legacy Wagon and I would really like to put in a multi-disc changer, preferably OEM. I'm NOT a fan of newer radios in that I like to be able to actually feel the buttons and know what to press while I am driving without having to look at it. I see that there is an OEM 6-cd changer model that would fit the bill, but since it was created a few years later, I don 't know if it would fit. Can anyone confirm if the stereo size has changed over the years from 1995 to early-200s? Also, any comments of the quality? I don't want to buy a known lemon if they are problematic. Thanks!

Here's one currently on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174683329123?epid=1222267576&hash=item28abf01263:g:v-8AAOSw55dgTo0w

-Ben

The physical size is still standard, certainly through '04. The '90s cars used 2 DIN slots, and the '00-'04 Leg/OBK had 3. The one you linked is double-DIN, so will physically fit with no problem.

The thing to watch for, is if the unit uses a separate amplifier. My '04 Outback has a McIntosh 6-disc, but it uses a separate amp under the passenger seat, and the speakers are wired to it, with a coax cable up to the dash. That would not be fun to duplicate....

I'd trace the part number on that radio, and study those diagrams to see if that's the case with this one. I don't like that it's got a second plug on the back. But it might work...

That one you linked to is fine - you should double check but I’ve swapped that exact one before as far as I can tell (some look really similar).   it doesn’t have the external amps or odd cabling like the McIntosh. 

I probably have one at home I’ll ship to you for $45 if you want it.

Thanks for the replies. I can get a NOS one for cheap and it's really tempting. But, I can definitely relate to having the disks get stuck inside vs a single. Had that happen in our Dodge a few years back. What a pain.

The other alternative is I have a 12-disc changer that works fantastically that goes under the seat and then T's into the radio antenna cable. Sounds really good. And an OEM head unit from my parts car. The head unit that is currently in the car has bluetooth and all that, but it drives me nuts. You can't see the numbers during the day and if you click the wrong button, you're in menu hell. I have literally had three people get into my car to drive and ask how in the world do you turn the radio off? Horrible design. The old OEM ones could have a nuclear explosion go off behind you and you could still see the time. And the interface is old-school bomb-proof.