Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 water pump pulley alternative?

has anyone encountered alternative water pump pulley a, say a Nissan item, that shares same diameter, b9lt pattern, offset - just as a single V pulley?

All I have I think, are double V pulleys.

what an amazing standard of metal origami it is too. They must have started out as flat sheet metal and been pressed with such force and accuracy to come out the way they have.

The multi rib ones are cast or machined rather than pressed plate.

ideally I am after a pulley to run the inner line of belt only, and not even have the front pulley, for my plan is to run an edis 36-1 crank trigger on the front of my crank pulley - machined lip to run it flush.

Many years ago someone ran their crank trigger on the rear V, cutting the rear V off the water pump pulley for clearance. The drive flow for the rear V of WP pulley must come from the front, so cannot cut or reduce the front V.

Those that know these WP might recall two deck heights of the WP flange, 105 and 110 

I think the 105 is for the thicker mounting boss of the solid 5PK multi rib flat belt WP pulley.

I may have enough WP shaft to press the flange down to maybe a deck height of 80 mm say, and mount the front half of a pressed 2V pulley, rear V removed to achieve my objective.

Why not duplicate original edis conversion?

i am having trouble seeing the pick up VR mounting correctly so close to TB covers ( in my head visually I recall seeing rear pulley near rub on these covers)

??

Everyone gone to fb?

No worries. I will keep talking to myself as it does help.

The WP flange has just a few mm to play with to press it closer the the body, so that is one idea resolved.

Talking to an electronics engineer while looking under the Vortex bonnet, he suggested to use the 5PK multi rib style pulley system as in the Vortex. He was saying mainly due to his experiences in them generally being a better, more reliable belt system. From my perspective, I thought it would mean chasing all the bits up, but with the cast iron solid WP pulley, I could get the required excess machined off the front, in order to clear the teeth of the trigger wheel.

I just need to see if I can swap the alternator pulley from 1V to multi rib and have it also line up correctly

I was thinking about this overnight - why not just fit the tone wheel to the front of the crank pulley? 

That wouldn’t be hard to do, which had me thinking why you haven’t gone that way in the first place. 

Facebook sucks. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1