Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1982 Brat shifter shaft seal

Hi all, 

been slowly making progress w/ my Brat.  It is now safe and roadworthy.  My newest issue is the transmission is leaking badly at the shifter shaft seal.

my questions are;

can it be replaced without removing the transmission?

and

any words of wisdom or advice before I dig in?

So far I have:

replaced a head due to a previously botched helicoil for a sparkplug. Replace h2o pump, hoses, radiator. Installed new 32/36 (it runs, but not quite right, but that is a later project). Redid all brakes that need immediate attention.  Fixed the leaking t-top. Replaced a bunch if wheel studs. Entirely replaced exhaust.  And, additional sundry repairs and maint.

thanks in advance.

Edited by Sasse

• 4 months later...

Yes the shifter seal can be replaced without removing the trans, I was able to do it on my 81 wagon without much trouble.  I think the hardest part was getting the cross pin out of the shifter linkage.  I am sure there is a write up somewhere around here.

Found some advice here:

On 9/29/2021 at 9:05 PM, Subi81 said:

Yes the shifter seal can be replaced without removing the trans, I was able to do it on my 81 wagon without much trouble.  I think the hardest part was getting the cross pin out of the shifter linkage.  I am sure there is a write up somewhere around here.

Found some advice here:

Thanks