Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester sh lift issue

Espey16

I lifted my 2011 forester Sunday, 2" up front and 2 3/8" in the rear. When I finished installing everything I drove it around in front of my house down and back a few times to get the suspension to settle out. Yesterday when I got home I wanted to re-torque the hardware just to make sure I didn't miss anything, and noticed the driver rear cv was rubbing on the exhaust. The diff side boot clamp came off and flung axle grease everywhere. Looks like I'm not the only one to experience this, but from what I've read I can't find a fix for it other than modifying the exhaust. Have any of you had this issue and resolved it without going to an exhaust shop?

I put a piece of 1/8" steel between the subframe and the y pipe (temporary) and that gave the axle enough clearance where the boot clamp won't hit anymore. I might see about getting slightly longer hangers for the mufflers when I get a new clamp and see if that drops it down sufficiently. 

Only problem I see, is the hanger coming from the y pipe to the subframe is up above the hanger on the subframe. Shouldn't it hang below the subframe? This would be so much easier to describe if I could post pics lol.

Edited by Espey16

4 hours ago, Numbchux said:

style of lift

I ASSume you did multi-link spacers...

I helped a friend install the 2"/2" version of that kit on his 13 Forester several years ago. I believe there was a midpipe hanger attached to the body, and just leaving that one disconnected.

Longer hangers did the trick. I think it looks kinda dumb now, but I'd rather do that than put axles in it constantly. The dealership doesn't offer a boot kit so I was gonna have to buy an axle for $618, and the nut for another $8. Luckily I found one at the junk yard for $45.

• 2 months later...

I am looking at the same lift kit.  to make sure im following you, when you say it looks dumb is because there is a gap between the tail pipes and the bumper cover now?  because you lowered the rear part of the exhaust ?

btw, thanks for posting this, you probably saved me buying a CV :)

• 1 month later...