Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP!! Forester stuck in Drive (auto)

and the original cable order from SubaruPartsDeal has been cancelled as of this morning.

placed new order for the cable with SubaruPartWholesale (Liberty Auto City) including one additional item that was not on the original order, and it STILL came out cheaper than the original order.

Just my two cents worth.. SubaruPartsDeal is not worth messing with. They really dropped the ball on this.

Order was placed on Friday, May 21st, Shipping label was created Thursday, May 27th (took nearly a week to process?) - and then nothing... USPS never scanned the item in, so they apparently did not get it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CNY_Dave said:

Oh and gear lube, my magic mix had gear lube.

My magic hatch lock grease was atf, bearing grease, and silicone grease.

in all honesty... nothing wrong with the actual cable part of things.. it was that stupid bushing that seized up that caused all the problems.

the cable itself - or what is left of it - still moves smoothly in the carrier housing.. but the connector bushing it attached to was seized solid..

with any luck, once i get all the pieces & parts here & get this all put back together, I will never worry about it again - should outlive the car. LOL

On 6/1/2021 at 1:49 PM, heartless said:

in all honesty... nothing wrong with the actual cable part of things.. it was that stupid bushing that seized up that caused all the problems.

the cable itself - or what is left of it - still moves smoothly in the carrier housing.. but the connector bushing it attached to was seized solid..

with any luck, once i get all the pieces & parts here & get this all put back together, I will never worry about it again - should outlive the car. LOL

Yes, exactly as on mine.

• Like 1

i plan to slather the new one up with plumbers silicone grease when it gets installed. lol that should help for a while

but yeah,, this Forester was a hard shifter from the day i got it.

the select lever has been cleaned and regreased as well.

the lower part of the lever has been replaced, too - did not feel like trying to get the old bushing out and trying to clean up the lever end - it would just rust up again and probably fairly quickly.

New cable should be here Friday.. Can hardly wait! I want my car back!

so the saga continues...

new cable arrived Friday, as expected.. what was not expected was the original order came thru as well.. so now I have 2. :rolleyes:

but anyway... went to install new cable, only to find that the bushing from the old one was stuck on the pin on the tranny side.. after much cussing and swearing, the lever moving to and fro, and at one point, actually getting slightly bent.. the old offending bushing was removed.

used a small file and emory cloth to clean up the pin and got the new cable put on.. and more frustration trying to get the pin installed that holds it on. arrgh.

after much fiddling around.. got the new cable adjusted - or so we thought.. it has park, it has neutral, and it has forward... but no reverse... :banghead:

thinking that when the lever got bent, it popped out of the inhibitor switch, and when straightening we did not get it back in properly.. that is the hope, anyway.

will be futzing with it more tomorrow.. just too hot & tired to do anymore today

13 minutes ago, lmdew said:

Best of luck.  If you need me to pull one from Rust Free, CO.  Let me know.

Larry - if I need something from rust free Colorado, I want a whole car! LOL

tbh, i would love another 95 Legacy. ;)

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, heartless said:

yeah, dont really want another Forester.. they are ok, but like the cargo space of the Legacy wagons - yup, yup

and the 95 seemed to have the best size to space ratio.

But it’s rust free!  I’d love to buy that and drive it back when I fly to Colorado in Sept. I need to look into Colorado out of state temp tag options, though most states don’t allow that.  I drove back like 10 years ago and picked up some MWE axles for spares while I was there. Good stuff. 

Edited by idosubaru

55 minutes ago, heartless said:

yeah, i know, LOL  and if I was in dire need of a car, would definitely consider it

right now, i just need to get the one i have sorted out

Agreed.  I like legacy and outback’s way better too.  For that effort might as well get what I want. Good luck getting it sorted. 

Edited by idosubaru

And we have LIFT OFF!!!

it was indeed because the shift linkage was not engaging the inhibitor switch.. poor tranny didnt know what was up, so..

got the lever straightened out a bit more and engaging the switch correctly... readjusted the cable, and everything seems to be a go.. we have park, reverse, neutral and drive! yay!

• Like 5

Great! So it was the lever with the spring (and drawn red circle) that needed to be adjusted or bent? Or the blue lever on the right?

Now you should at least get 275k miles out of that Forester. I do like the length and capacity of Legacy/Outback wagons, nice for picking up firewood if the truck is off the road. The Outback wagons I had were actually a bit longer than the Honda Pilot that I had for a little while. I do like the height though of the Forester, easier to enter/exit - especially the 2009+ gen.

Thanks guys. :D yeah, it feels REALLY good to have my wheels rolling again!

but i really need to give a shout out to my other half (who has the patience of a saint, lol) for the final fix.

@Stelcom66 - the metal part (left side) has a pin on the back (circled bit) of it that is supposed to be in the slot of the piece on the right.. once those two were properly aligned (by straightening the metal bit on the left some more and getting the pin to engage in the slot), and the cable readjusted correctly, all is right in Suby land again.

I did learn a valuable trick with all of this... to get proper alignment, and to adjust the cable per FSM instructions, you are supposed to have both the interior shift lever and the tranny in neutral... to have tranny in neutral, you align the two levers, and the hole in the switch plate, and shove a pin thru all 3 to hold things in the proper orientation - small allen wrench worked a treat.

unknown.png

shifting is stupid easy now, especially when compared to how it used to be, LOL - was really stiff, and had to work at it to get into the lower forward gears.. now I know why!

Edited by heartless
  • Like 1

put her to the test today - had to go get some groceries now that we finally have a working fridge again (yes, our fridge died just about the same time - ugh) was getting to be slim pickings for food.

two different stores, had to back out of parking space at each, plus backing out at home, so yeah.. she is all good to go! I just need to learn to use a lighter hand, lol - keep going into 3rd instead of drive now cause it is so easy.