Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mounting side rail bars on 1st Gen Brat (81)

Has anyone added the OEM stainless steel side rail bars to the 1st generation BRAT? Do you just use stainless sheet metal screws and predrill to get started? And neoprene rubber under the feet. 

These are the original aftermarket ones that SOA sold. 

I got them in 2004 when I bought a used BRAT for parts off a guy in Jacksonville Fl at the NAS. See photo below for picture of the side rails on the parts BRAT

THey are the original ones that SOA sold. He had them on his BRAT. I dont know of any other way to mount them other than drilling. I am in the process of respraying the paint so now would be the time to go ahead and mount them. They have been sitting on a shelf for 17 years and are in great shape.

79-purple.jpg

• Like 2

i've also thought the same about this if i ever find rails for mine, drilling is really the only way to mount them securely without loosing them or someone holding onto one while it's parked and it falling off unfortunately.

i mean, the mirrors are also brutally just screwed onto the door from new, so you can look at it that way so it doesn't hurt so much making a hole into the sheet metal.

• 4 months later...