Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help needed identifying transmission. See pic.

Is there such thing as a tag or casting number to help me identify what transmission this is (see pic)? I'm not sure what car came out of, it's a wrecking yard special. I was told it "should" fit any early '80s Subaru. My intention is to put it in my 1980 DL wagon.

IMG_20210514_143846.jpg.8b0103884c7537b7693890cb7fcf47c9.jpg

Also - I'm aware it won't bolt up to the 1600. I have a '81 wagon parts car with the 1800 I plan on swapping in. However, it's only a two-wheel drive. Hence the wrecking yard special.

Thanks in advance for your help!

21 hours ago, 6 Star said:

That would be more of a direct fit than a 5 speed. At least the rear driveline wouldn't need to be a custom length if you went 4 speed 4x4.

Also correct if everything in the 1600 is shared with the early 1800 gear. I’m not sure on what changes were made from the 1600 to 1800 in mounting arrangements or the tail shaft length etc. 

Cheers

Bennie

Well carp. I got overzealous and apparently bought me a new door stop.<_<  I might try to tear it apart anyway, just to see what all the fuss is about. I appreciate all the input!  The hunt continues...

Did all the 4WD 1985–1994 come with dual range?

11 hours ago, Tims Toy 500 said:

Did all the 4WD 1985–1994 come with dual range?

Not all. There are some single range units and fewer AWD units. Both have a little lever on the RHS. AWD lever pivots down low with the arm facing up, the PT4WD single range has a lever the pivots up high on the side of the gearbox with the arm facing downward. Both are actuated by a big vacuum diaphragm that’s mounted on the LHS behind the bell housing. It’s big and gold-like in colour usually. 

The dual range PT4WD box doesn’t have any levers on the side of the gearbox, but does have a rod that passes through the square plate rear section (both sides) and a rod that connects to the dual range gear selector on the RHS behind the bell housing. The AWD has a similar setup too.

All share the same clutch cable, gear selector rod connections and gearbox mountings.

Cheers 

Bennie

Thanks for the tips on how to identify the transmission!  That's a huge help for this novice. 

If its not already out of the car (like the boat anchor I just bought) and I need to pull it - Is there a way to identify what trans it has before climbing under the car to see? Fender badge, Trim level, etc?

Edited by Tims Toy 500

Not really. Looking for the dual range lever will tell you if it’s dual range or not. 
4wd button on the gear stick is single range. 
AWD with locking centre diff comes in the RXII coupe (turbo) and some JDM spec turbo wagons/sedans. Dunno if it came in any other US spec vehicles. There’s a diff lock switch on the console usually.

Wagons are typically all 4wd with the exception of some early units that were 2wd.

I hope that helps.

Cheers 

Bennie