Ultimate Subaru Message Board

8 hours ago, suprunner said:

Alright, thank you. What do you think about trying to find a used compressor over a remanufactured over brand new? I was looking to call a couple yards up in the northern latitudes, hoping even with higher mileage it might have seen less usage because of the fewer hot days... Whereas buying something used down here in the desert, and I'd guess it's probably close to toast? 

don’t know.  Subaru compressors don’t fail often enough for me (or nearly anyone) to have statistically meaningful data.

that’s a good plan you’ve got. I like to see less than 150k, try to find out if it was working before pulled, and stored properly.   If the last two check out that’s usually good enough for me  

Ive installed 2 new and 5-7 used, all with 100% success rates.

Given the lower quality of steering pumps, fuel pumps, starters and alternators from aftermarket sources, I don’t consider them significantly better just for being “new”.  They might be more desirable if I can’t verify anything about a used one (miles and how it was stored). If it’s relatively low miles and was removed in working conditions and stored properly - I’d easily go for used.

Additionally OEM units usually quit working with no catastrophic fanfare.  I’ve seen enough aftermarket parts fail in odd ways that having one vomit metal through the entire system wouldn’t surprise me, though I’ve never seen that happen  

I’ll continue to do used and new on old gen 80s Subarus due to age and Availability. So I’m not allergic to new I just compare my options and go from there. 

On 6/26/2021 at 11:25 AM, suprunner said:

Thank you. How do I capture the system gasses without venting to the atmosphere? How much would a shop charge me to just take a little bit out? 

Just vent to atmosphere, it's a schrader valve on the low side.  like a car tire, put something in there and press the pin to release.  Maybe 1/2 second burst and try testing again.  Do it sparingly though, probably stop by the 5th time if nothing changes.  There's not much refrigerant in these cars, usually you'll get out 90% of it if you hold the release for 10 secs.  The rest comes out in less than 30 secs