Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aftermarket ECU for EJ22 swap

Any modern standalone can run an EJ engine. Some will run better, some will require modification. Depends what you want, and what engine/configuration you're planning to run.

Talk to your tuner. They all have preferences/specialties for different brand of ECU.

Haltech and Link seem to be the big consumer grade manufacturers these days.

There's also Megasquirt and Speeduino if you don't mind the extra work of open source hardware.

Megagarbage and all that open source junk have terrible support for the Subaru style triggers. Really any of the Japanese style triggers that are sent as raw sensor output directly to the ECU are difficult for the GM inspired open source stuff. 

If you buy a LINK package through my shop I can supply excellent maps for the EJ22 that are dyno proven and road tested to provide 26+ MPG in a VW van with an Espresso bar in it (imagine the weight of this unit!) 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, el_freddo said:

What’s the reason for aftermarket, is it deemed an easier install for you to be successful with?

Cheers

Bennie

MUCH easier to install and easier to acquire. No dash pulling to get a harness - just attach the LINK harness directly to the manifold harness and mount the LINK in the engine bay (waterproof). Also no MAF anymore which makes intake plumbing easier, and no need for ANY of the superfluous sensors or any emissions garbage such as fuel temp and tank pressure, EGR, EVAP, etc. All that is eliminated. And no need to run 30+ year old electronics that are difficult to replace and suffer from capacitor leakage, cracked solder joints, and WAY more complexity than is needed for a simple EJ swap. 

GD

• Thanks 1

I’m guessing the fuel temp and tank pressure readings are in the later models. I don’t have any of those in my EJ22’d L series, it runs a cutdown Gen1 series 2 factory management.

Down here we have to keep the factory emissions with engine conversions to get engineering, or pass a $1275ish emissions test that you two attempts at before you’re up for another round of 1275! That’s before you get to pay for the engineering certificate on the engine conversion itself. Hence why I was asking.

I also found using second hand parts much more economical in my situation. Horses for courses, at the end of the day if it goes and you’re happy that’s all that matters.

Cheers

Bennie