Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AC Issue: The AC on my '98 Forester is not working.
  1. I changed the common failure point where the O-rings are on the low and high side pipes that connect to the compressor. (This has fixed every other Subie I've had. )
  2. The AC light on climate control comes on.
  3. Fuse is good and I tried a different relay.
  4. I jumpered the Dryer's connector (by the pass. front strut tower) and the comp. clutch moves in/out.
When I started to fill it with new refrigerant the clutch on the AC never turned on and then I got a really loud hissing/pressure noise coming out of the front of the car by the radiator. I’m assuming that’s the condenser but I don’t know whether that means the condenser is plugged or if there is a valve in that area that could also be broken?

I don't have AC gauges or a way to pull a vaccum.

Thanks for any insight.

Replace it, it's leaking probably from a puncture.  They are highly exposed up front and get punctured in prior accidents or run ins with tool, bikes, downed trees, wrecks - it probably was poked at some point in it's earlier career before you had it.   Used is fine it's a big chunk of metal with zero failure points - but for most Subaru models there are online suppliers with very inexpensive new ones. 

I’m with @1 Lucky Texan and @idosubaru, it’s a dead condenser. No valves etc down there. You will find a joint on both pipes coming into the condenser though. That could be the issue, an inspection will show if it’s the joint(s) or a hole in one of the condenser channels.

My bet would be a hole in the condenser.

All the best with it!

Cheers 

Bennie

• 2 weeks later...

Finish up this thread.

Everyone gets a Pleiades star cluster for naming the condenser as the cause.

Replaced with a new one, charged it up and the cold air is back.

For future reference, I found out during the diagnostic phase that I could jumper the connector at the AC Dryer to cycle the Compressor's clutch. I'd also read that connecting the green diagnostic connectors under the dash would cycle the clutch but that didn't work on my '98 Forester. 

Thanks!

lbnUnPM.jpg

Edited by wtdash
  • Like 1