Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm confused - EA71 or EA81? Need help selecting my lift kit

Sitting at the computer, I'm at the point where I'm about to pull the trigger on purchasing my lift kit. -=BUT=- The SJR website says their 4-in kit "fits EA71, Gen1 1978-80 all body styles"... I thought my 1980 wagon (with the 1600) still fell into the EA81 category? (Plus, the SJR kit for EA81 is about 50 bucks cheaper.) I also have a 1981 parts car with the 1800 motor I plan swapping into my 1980 wagon when I do the lift. Thinking that would be easiest when everything is already apart. I've been told I'll need to use the crossmember from the 1981 to make the swap. Is there any truth to that? Can somebody set me straight on which car I have and will a crossmember swap make any difference as to which lift kit I buy? - I appreciate any insight/experience you folks might have.

Don't quote me, as I've never personally lifted a 1980 wagon... but I would say that is the gen 2 (ea81) category.

Even though the engine is an ea71, the body is gen 2.

Not sure how different the cross member is between the ea71 and ea81 for the gen 2 but it cannot be very different if it is. The ea71 in the gen 2 form is almost identical to the ea81.