Ultimate Subaru Message Board

06 wagon rear left door unable to open from any side

Been meaning to present this to the great folks here. Recent addition and my friend the previous owner has no idea what happened. His lovey daughter had the use of the car for a lengthy period before our acquisition. 

I’m confident that once I remove the inner panel I’ll be able to unlatch it and likely spot the cause. 

But as it sits with the seat in place is it possible to remove the door card ? 

Another issue I know about but neglected to even give much of a glance at today as the sun baked me for a brake job. Figured there’s a chance somebody could give me a head start before I get time with that car again. 

Some info for the next guys or gals. 

Exterior handle is broken. 

Was able to remove door card with door still locked shut. Probably did NOT have to take the skin off since I found that you can get the lock to unlatch using a long screwdriver. Easier from the door inner side but also can be had creatively from the window slot. Look for the green link retainer. 

I did not take the time to see if I could have rigged it so at least the interior handle would open the door. I’m assuming the lock mechanism needs to be seated in its proper location before the interior handle link can also function. 

Not the best time for me to be working on this. Had to throw it all back together without fixing the handle. Was going to try to use an epoxy but didn’t have any handy. Besides , it really needs a new handle. I only wanted to try to epoxy it and see if it would work even short term while I order the new handle. 

To be continued. 

• Like 1