Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Horn works only when Steering wheel is turned.

I haven’t been able to use my horn for the past few weeks and I NEED it while driving in a summer destination area with tourists.  I just realized though, the horn works only when the steering wheel is turned in either direction.  I just reviewed the Haynes manual and don’t feel comfortable removing the air bag in the steering wheel to troubleshoot this problem let alone know what I would be looking for.  Has anyone else fixed this problem and am I intimidated for nothing?  

2015 Subaru Forester Touring

Edited by Niceville318

what your problem is is most likely what is called the clock spring - it provides metal to metal contacts for the horn, airbag, and any steering wheel mounted accessories (stereo controls, cruise, etc) and still allow the steering wheel to rotate.

there are proper procedures to follow when dealing with the airbag - a good google search should turn up more info on that. If you are not comfortable tackling that, then i would suggest taking it to a good mechanic and having it done - cost will typically range from 2-400 bucks, depending on your location & the shop.

• Like 1

Typically the way to treat the airbags is gently AFTER disconnecting the battery for a minimum of half an hour. Can leave it disconnected over night just to be sure.

After this you’re all good to work with and safely handle the airbag.

As for the clock spring, I’m not sure what your forester uses, I had the same issue on my L series and the contact pin had worn down to the point it only made partial contact at certain angles of the steering wheel. I found that a .22 bullet shell fitted snuggly over the pin and job done.

s7CJJ4.jpg 

Dare say your clock spring is most likely updated from my ‘80s L series! And I don’t have an airbag to contend with.

Cheers

Bennie