Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi guys, I'm fixing up a 1990 Loyale, (after my 92 Loyale was sadly stolen and totalled) and I'm almost done except for one issue - the front wheel bearings. I've never had to do this before on a Loyale, typically I've just replaced the entire hub assembly. However it appears it is not that way on the Loyales. It's the ea82 no turbo, 5 speed manual with the push button 4x4. Could someone help instruct me on how I should go about replacing these front bearings? Thanks!!

There was a cool video a member made on one of the FB group pages. Involved cooling the bearings in the freezer for a while, and applying a heat gun to the knuckles... the bearings slipped right in without having to use a press

Sorry guys, It seems I still can't find a good run down on the replacement process in the forums. Could someone link me to it maybe?

I'm also a little confused on the parts I need to buy. When I look up the front bearings, the results show a variety of bearing shapes that all "fit". I assume the best way to go is to buy a kit, with the bearings and seals as a complete set?

Aye, thanks Bennie! That's the ticket right there. So, from what I gather, remove the wheel, axle nut, brakes, disconnect the end of the tie rod. Push the axle through. Pry out the seals and knock the bearings out. Lube up new bearings, install inner with drift or socket & hammer. Grease spacer. Smack in new outer bearing. Install seals and guide the axle back through. Reconnect tie rod. Reassemble brakes, axle nut. 

Did I get that right? 

That’s about it. You could take the knuckle out and do it on a bench but it can be done in situ.

If using “sealed” bearings, I pry off the seals carefully and repack the bearings with quality high temp grease I’m happy with the replace one seal. When I put the bearings back in, I fit them with the one seal facing outwards and throw in a bit of grease with the spacer. Then the second bearing is fitted with its one seal facing outwards.

This allows the inner sides of the bearings to move grease in/out as required and makes use of the seals on the outsides of the bearings. For the standard seals, prelube them with some bearing grease (sparingly) or rubber grease so they done “burn up” and chew out.

After all that it’s essentially reassembly time!

Cheers 

Bennie

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys.

Sorry I kinda dropped the thread, I've been in the hospital for about the last three weeks. I just got out a few days ago. Collapsed lung, they drained a liter and a half of blood from two chest tubes, not fun.

But the bucket of parts I had ready when I left was there when I got back. The bearings are in. Thank you everyone for your help and insight! Hopefully that's the last main issue I have to resolve before I have this Loyale rebuilt and distance worthy!

• Like 1